Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double-DIN DVD units

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
You could also have a look at the JVC AVX-810, same screen resolution and similar features as the others, goes for about $1000. Plays MP3/WMA & DivX from USB, SD card, CD or DVD as well as AUX in. Also plays iPod audio/video and bluetooth with adapters.

listen_to_slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Hey mate, i bought a Pioneer AVH-P4050DVD the other day, i got the price down from $1400 to $880 ;) although the screen is smaller(6.1"), is not tilt adjustable and it only has 2 RCA Pre outs (as opposed to 3 like many other units) it comes with the cable to plug an ipod into it. And it is one of the few units that you can play your ipod videos through, it also allows you to control all ipod functions through the deck. I haven't installed my deck yet but im sure video quality will be alright for an $880 deck

have a look here for features PIONEER CAR AUDIO RANGE 2008 - Visual Audio

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Hey mate, i bought a Pioneer AVH-P4050DVD the other day, i got the price down from $1400 to $880 ;) although the screen is smaller(6.1"), is not tilt adjustable and it only has 2 RCA Pre outs (as opposed to 3 like many other units) it comes with the cable to plug an ipod into it. And it is one of the few units that you can play your ipod videos through, it also allows you to control all ipod functions through the deck. I haven't installed my deck yet but im sure video quality will be alright for an $880 deck

have a look here for features PIONEER CAR AUDIO RANGE 2008 - Visual Audio

I got the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD from Ebay about a month ago,it only cost me $420 all up including delivery from the USA (It was here in less than a week).
It's basically the same as the Aussie version 4050,but you don't get a remote which didn't bother me considering it's touchscreen.Then there's the Region 1 DVD thing,but that doesn't worry me at all either.
The 4000 retails in the USA for $500 US,the 4050 as mentioned above retails for $1399.Are we getting ripped or what!!

I've got a Pioneer rear camera,Ipod cable (Ipod functionality is excellent) and USB cable hooked up to it.
I also got a fitting kit and fascia to suit my VY for $29,it looks and fits really good.

If you'd like some photos of it,let me know.Maybe you could check the screen resolution when playing a movie? Not sure if it would show up real good on the photos,but I could try.

The video quality is really good and the touchscreen is awesome.
The only downsides of buying one from overseas is warranty,and the region 1 locked DVD player,but this is very easy to fix.Who keeps their original DVDs in their car anyway?

I love the way you can change the colours of the unit,both the illumination and the screen background.Not only can you match it to your dash,but if you get bored with it you can make it just about any colour you want.

The only thing I don't like with this unit,which afaik is the same with all Pioneer headunits,is that the electric aerial goes up even when watching a DVD or listening to a CD.I know it's only a matter of adding a switch to manually control the aerial,but in this day and age surely Pioneer could design this function correctly.I realise that the same aerial wire can be used to power up other remote units,but why not not have a manual switch or menu setting where you can set this to "Aerial up with radio only"?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I got the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD from Ebay about a month ago,it only cost me $420 all up including delivery from the USA (It was here in less than a week).

Hey mate

I'm looking at the AVH-P4000DVD on ebay as well. You know you can get a remote for $20 - but who needs it :)

I was just wondering - how much can you tone the illumination down ? Say you are driving at night, just listening to tunes - can the brightness be dropped right down?

Cheers

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Do you realise you won't be able to play Aussie DVDs? If it goes faulty, you'll have to send it back overseas... I'd be very careful wiring it up because the slightest mistake and you'll be posting it back to America for repairs.

You can get the Aussie version for much less than the RRP if you know where to look :)

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Do you realise you won't be able to play Aussie DVDs? If it goes faulty, you'll have to send it back overseas... I'd be very careful wiring it up because the slightest mistake and you'll be posting it back to America for repairs.

You can get the Aussie version for much less than the RRP if you know where to look :)

Yes you can,you just make a back up copy of the retail DVD that you bought.
Most programs remove the region coding automatically.
Who wants to leave their original DVDs in the car anyway? They could get stolen or damaged.
The cheapest I could find for the locally supplied one was about $850,twice the price of the one I got.If it stuffs up I could just buy another one and still be in front.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Hey mate

I'm looking at the AVH-P4000DVD on ebay as well. You know you can get a remote for $20 - but who needs it :)

I was just wondering - how much can you tone the illumination down ? Say you are driving at night, just listening to tunes - can the brightness be dropped right down?

Cheers

I'm getting the PAC SWI-PS ($60 ) for my VY so I can use the steering wheel controls, so I have no use for the remote anyway.
The illumination dims automatically at night if you connect the light input wire to the unit.You can turn this feature off or on depending on what you like.
You can also manually adjust the dimmer,contrast,colour and hue of all the sources.

Hope this helps.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Just an update,I have now fitted the PAC SWI-PS to my VY and it works perfectly.It's very easy to fit (3 wires to connect) and program and comes with a plug to connect to the back of my head unit.
These units fit the newer Sony and Pioneer head units with an input for remote controls.
You just set it up as if for a Pontiac GTO,as they use the same wiring and resistor values as the VY and VZ,I checked it out in the Holden Service Manual before ordering the kit.

Best $60 I ever spent,it's great to have my steering wheel controls back again.

=SKB=

Reaction score
Just an update,I have now fitted the PAC SWI-PS to my VY and it works perfectly.It's very easy to fit (3 wires to connect) and program and comes with a plug to connect to the back of my head unit.
These units fit the newer Sony and Pioneer head units with an input for remote controls.
You just set it up as if for a Pontiac GTO,as they use the same wiring and resistor values as the VY and VZ,I checked it out in the Holden Service Manual before ordering the kit.

Best $60 I ever spent,it's great to have my steering wheel controls back again.

Nice find. :thumbsup:

...If you'd like some photos of it,let me know...

Yes thanks. Also more info on the reverse camera you are running.

RecklessXL

Society's worst enemy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ "ClubSpec"
These units fit the newer Sony and Pioneer head units with an input for remote controls

Im a Kenwood man myself, no offence.. With Alpine your paying for the name, not for quality. Pioneer should honestly just stick to home theatre. Sony... I wont even go there. But each to their own, just my opinion :p

I dont suppose the steering control unit is compatible with the Kenwood DDX8032BT or the Kenwood DDX5032 by any chance?