Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double Din into a VX HOW!!!

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Hey guys i am re-fitting my Kenwood double din unit into my car as i wasnt happy how mounted in before. But im having prob with trying to fit the cage in there so as i can slide the unit in and out if needed. The cage is tto big for the black dash part and doesnt fit in

I have rang a few places and they say that they dont make a install kit like what you can get for the VY-VZ.. Does anybody have any idea as to how to make the cage fit in there..

Cheers Dave

P.S sorry if it has been asked before but i searched and couldnt find anything relevant

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
if you pull the dash surround out, (the plastic bit)

you get alot better access to metal cage and can fit the cage in easy then the stereo will sit flush with the plastic.. looks alot cleaner

like this
IMG_0808.jpg

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
I have gone that far down and the cage will not fit in the black box... It is physically to big to fit in there..

Will get some pics up

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
i pulled the stock cage out and cut it to fit the stereo with all the wiring etc,,

i dont use a actuall cage for the stereo just the stock spot and prob it up on rubber

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
As the pictures show i can get to slide in bout 20 or 30mm then it stops and if push it in anymore ie force it in then the stereo wont slide in and out at all...

davesbuildupstereo001.jpg

davesbuildupstereo006.jpg

davesbuildupstereo003.jpg

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
mate, its getting caught up on some tabs on the side...they usually do, tap them flat with a small hammer and it should slide back in. Failing that, most double din units don't actually come with a cage...I use back strapping and make up my own brackets to screw it into the top two screw holes on you can see on either side of the hole.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Ok might have to try that... looks like its going to be a nice weekend job cutting a filling and hammering down to make it fit. There is a installer in town who said he can do it so that it slides in and out maybe i just bite the bullet and make it his prob and spend my time on other parts of the car

Every kenwood i have seen or bought has come with a cage to mount it. single and double din. Its listed in the spare parts book this cage i got.. So i dont know when i rang a few suppliers of dash mountings they all said that no one makes a mount for the vt or vx (like the vy vz) due to the stereos coming with cages and that what people use in a vt or vx..

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
most kenwoods do...clarions don't...some pioneers do. don't recall alpine as I won't deal with them.

<RaBBiT>

Follow the White RaBBiT>>
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Berlina V8, VS Calais 5spd, VN V8, VR States
yeah get a pro to do it if u ur confident but as said above make up some bracket's and cut and mod the hole to get it to fit and don't use the cage

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
But if i dont use the cage then i wont be able to slide the unit in and out of the hole as needed..