Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double-Din My install and mods...CHECK IT OUT...

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
ok...so me and my mechanic (and mate) got together and did this.......i called about 10 installation places to find out who could do a Double-Din in a VR-VS....but no 1 had ever done 1...

so we ripped the dash apart and took a look where we could mount it....

we decided to take out the two middle air vents and "Re-Design" the Heater box.......there is two pipes that run from the heater box that bypass's the two airvents we took out...they are fabricated so no air escapes...but goes straight to the door vents....im quite happy with it....

but if i had my time over wouldnt have done it.....

Let me know what you think

also the hazard lights and aircon buttons etc....are being mounted where the old unit was... im also making the "coin area" bigger so i can get my hand in there and also put more/larger objects..... and need to install new heater\ temperature selector....mine was broken

by te way....the sorrounding parts arent finished...they need to be fibreglassed so it all comes up to the unit and sit's flush so you cant see "metal"...

Attachments

• P100309_18.50[03].jpg
    P100309_18.50[03].jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 2,130
  • P100309_18.51.jpg
    P100309_18.51.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,941
Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i've seen a few double dins install like that, not to my taste, but it'll get there once its finished off.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Use the statesman stereo surround

Looks a bit messy at the moment but maybe you could use a Statesman center console as it has a storage compartment in between the double din and the old stereo spot for the airvents put a link to a statesman pic.
photo gallery popup
and maybe use the elec antenna, A/C buttons from VN/VP/VR/VS for your other buttons that you've removed.
photo gallery popup
would make it so atleast you could have air vents in the middle and it would look pretty neat, and once its finished if you do it rihgt it should look almost fatory!:thumbsup: