Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Downgrade - SSV Redline to SS

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 2017 SS ute in manual with 20" Barettas. I'm aware of the difference in brakes, wheels and some other trims bits. What's got me interested is going from FE 3 to FE 2. The Series 2 redline ute i have corners like **** anyways. Could i be further disappointed with the SS which has FE2? thanks in advance

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Depends how you drive as to how much it bothers you; but yeah, a VF2 FE2 car won't handle as well as a VF2 FE3 car.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
ive read that ute does not get strut brace so it's not going to handle like a sedan irrespective. if anyone knows apples to apples I'd appreciate hearing from you!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Depends how you drive as to how much it bothers you; but yeah, a VF2 FE2 car won't handle as well as a VF2 FE3 car.
bullshit. #opinions
Sedan vs Ute Vs Sportwagon all different spec. ie different for different applications.
No use saying fastest around a track, what track which car, what load, what state of tune, what tyres, etc.
Know why FE3 wasn’t on the SSV commercial vehicles until recently?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Because previously, functionality > performance; but not now.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I'm quite happy with FE2 in my heavy arse wagon on sydneys crap roads. I'm never going to pretend it's a race car for me.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Unlikely you would notice the difference, unless you really push it to the limit, but then you would probably need better brakes and wider wheels at the back. (& two bags of cement in the tray to hold down the rear end).

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Can you use your best technical knowledge and explain this in terms of real world performance. I am all ears

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
It'd be easier to just send someone to the dealer to compare, like we did when buying. Feeling is believing, as it were.

But the short version is that spring, damper & anti-sway-bar rates have been chosen with the FE3 suspension-tune to allow improved handling over the FE2 tune. Keep the wheel touching the ground for more of the time, meaning more grip. The downside is ride & (to an almost immeasurable degree from Holden's POV) cost.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
i havent driven an SS yet. ive driven 2x series 2 redline utes now, one auto and one manual. both felt like they had shocking body roll and wanted to oversteer. The 2000-2004 model BMW coupes ive owned cornered far far better which is a worry. yes i know the ute can carry 700kgs ( or 5 fat passengers) on the back but we are talking 15 years of technical progression in suspension since a E46 coupe