Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Downgrade - SSV Redline to SS

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
in terms of actual track performance, verified lap times around the ‘Ring, the VF Redline Ute is a closer to a BMW Z8 E52, Alpina B3 Biturbo Coupe, 1 Series M Coupe, Alpina B6 S. Of course it’s the fastest commercial vehicle around the Green Hell.
How does your coupe compare to those models?

The 6.2 litre V8 in the Redline Ute would motor down the long straights and that's where it's advantage is, the other more nibble lesser engine cars probably come into their own when the essess appear and that helps to even things out.

A car with power and is nibble to boot is the ideal combo.

My VFII SS never feels nimble.

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
I like that way of thinking, I was after a redline but hate leather/ head hit the roof(stupid sunroof) so the SS was a easy choice for me to.

I tried the Redline but the following turned me back to the SS (in order of turn off factor):
  1. The Redline is basically $10K more to buy and heavier in kerb mass
  2. My head always hits the roof lining on front passenger side (I'm 6'3") due to the Sunroof ceiling contours.
  3. Styling is identical on the outside (Redline should have had a more aggressive body kit to enhance its stance on the street (basically they look identical unless up close on the dash and brakes).
  4. Redline Wheels can't be fully rotated front to back. So limited to non-directional tyres. Just imaging when the apprentice forgets and puts them on back to front. Also the cost of the rear tyres vs the extra grip offered is marginal.
  5. If you are unlikely to ever track drive the car, what use are Brembos in everyday driving around town really? Plus the cost of pads. AP Racing brakes are in fact a better brake caliper and the pads are easier and cheaper to get. Therefore get the SS and do just the fronts for a couple grand.
  6. Heated seats come on... really is it that cold is Australia for anymore than a month or two (even in Canberra..) Waste of money quite frankly in most places for most climates.
  7. Good drivers don't need Lane departure and a cameras in the windscreen etc that just adds more $$ when replacing the windscreen.Coloured DIC - again gimmicks but frankly unnecessary additional costs added weight etc.
  8. Engine tune and gearing is exactly the same as the SS no improvement.
  9. Ok FE3... Hmmm again unless doing punishing laps on a track, it is really just a harder ride for normal driving conditions which accounts for 95% of redline owners. Just wait until you put a FE3 on the outback so called 'highways' which are just so ruff you will beg for FE2. and 17" wheels.
  10. Extra leather - nice initially but for me over the top compared to the SS.
  11. If the Redline would have come with an exhaust upgrade, intake upgrade, gearing change, ECU remap plus better exterior styling enhancements and 50-75KW more engine power (similar to a Walkinshaw kit) then the Redline would be the clear winner hands down.

Last edited:

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
I tried the Redline but the following turned me back to the SS (in order of turn off factor):
  2. My head always hits the roof lining on front passenger side (I'm 6'3") due to the Sunroof ceiling contours.
  3. Styling is identical on the outside (Redline should have had a more aggressive body kit to enhance its stance on the street (basically they look identical unless up close on the dash and brakes).
  4. Redline Wheels can't be fully rotated front to back. So limited to non-directional tyres. Just imaging when the apprentice forgets and puts them on back to front. Also the cost of the rear tyres vs the extra grip offered is marginal.
  5. If you are unlikely to ever track drive the car, what use are Brembos in everyday driving around town really? Plus the cost of pads. AP Racing brakes are in fact a better brake caliper and the pads are easier and cheaper to get. Therefore get the SS and do just the fronts for a couple grand.
  6. Heated seats come on... really is it that cold is Australia for anymore than a month or two (even in Canberra..) Waste of money quite frankly in most places for most climates.
  7. Good drivers don't need Lane departure and a cameras in the windscreen etc that just adds more $$ when replacing the windscreen.Coloured DIC - again gimmicks but frankly unnecessary additional costs added weight etc.
  9. Ok FE3... Hmmm again unless doing punishing laps on a track, it is really just a harder ride for normal driving conditions which accounts for 95% of redline owners. Just wait until you put a FE3 on the outback so called 'highways' which are just so ruff you will beg for FE2. and 17" wheels.
  11. If the Redline would have come with an exhaust upgrade, intake upgrade, gearing change, ECU remap plus better exterior styling enhancements and 50-75KW more engine power (similar to a Walkinshaw kit) then the Redline would be the clear winner hands down.
that sums it up well, I got mine pretty cheap 44.5K drive away redlines were 12k more at the time.

Re brembos I have fitted aftermarket rims(lets be honest all the VF rims are average) that wont fit over the rear brembos

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
i did some digging with my mate in the parts department at one dealer here. struts are different part numbers from FE2-FE3 sedan and wagon but he didnt have a listing for an FE2 ute anyways. When he plugged my VIN in the computer said 'FE3 special minus stabilizer bar' or something along those lines. He said the difference in part number on struts was most likely due to different shock rating. Here's the clincher - the front springs are the SAME part number for Ute, sedan, wagon, V6 Commies, Evoke, SV6, SS, SSV Redlines, Police. All are different listings but all carry the came part number! HSV carry a different part number for front springs

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
in terms of actual track performance, verified lap times around the ‘Ring, the VF Redline Ute is a closer to a BMW Z8 E52, Alpina B3 Biturbo Coupe, 1 Series M Coupe, Alpina B6 S. Of course it’s the fastest commercial vehicle around the Green Hell.
How does your coupe compare to those models?

not sure how you have become misguided talking about lap times around a race track. my comments were in relation to cornering.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
that sums it up well, I got mine pretty cheap 44.5K drive away redlines were 12k more at the time.

Re brembos I have fitted aftermarket rims(lets be honest all the VF rims are average) that wont fit over the rear brembos
IMG_5903.JPG

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE

thats so cheap
Very hard to justify the additional 12k. If you see my other recent post you'll know my position on these Brembos. There are no factory bonuses or plate clearance or any other discounts from factory now.I thought I stole my Redline ute at 50k new drive away (a 16 plate SS was the same price) obviously not if someone paid 44.5

Last edited:

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Brembos fitted post purchase?

Yeah mate. A couple of the guys pointed me to Amazon.com and saved a lot of money. Around 2k for front and rears with DBA rotors and HPX pads.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
not sure how you have become misguided talking about lap times around a race track. my comments were in relation to cornering.
OK, not serious cornering, more like navigating up the corner shop. That’s where you reckon a BMW coupe handles better than a Redline ute, not a racetrack.
Mate just like everyone here responded, ridiculous to compare the fastest work ute to a hairdresser’s German Gemini based on a quick fang up the shops.
You specifically said it cornered like ****, had “too much” body roll and understeer, and by way of comparing to 15 year old German shitbox you imply is outdated.
This is not logical or a fricken technical argument at all, your misguided opinion without basis in fact.
Inflammatory and not welcome.