Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Downgrade - SSV Redline to SS

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
The 6.2 litre V8 in the Redline Ute would motor down the long straights and that's where it's advantage is, the other more nibble lesser engine cars probably come into their own when the essess appear and that helps to even things out.

A car with power and is nibble to boot is the ideal combo.

My VFII SS never feels nimble.
Clearly sir you need more torque is all.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Clearly sir you need more torque is all.
Don't we all?
I mean there's no such thing as "too much torque", just "not enough grip". :)

We went Redline because HUD (which is no longer a Thing) and because the better half (whose car it is) preferred the feel of it on the road compared to the SS we drove (plus I slalomed through a roundabout near the dealer at, ahem, the speed limit - Redline just felt way more planted for doing that). But the value equation was a bit different for us too; I found the very last Redline wagon still in-stock anywhere in the country that Holden made in the colour we wanted, and it was 9 months old so was only a coupla grand over the price of an SS anyway. I can't say what the outcome of that decision would be now, or without the added factor if having found EXACTLY what we'd wanted & it never being available again otherwise.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
thats so cheap

Very hard to justify the additional 12k. If you see my other recent post you'll know my position on these Brembos. There are no factory bonuses or plate clearance or any other discounts from factory now.I thought I stole my Redline ute at 50k new drive away (a 16 plate SS was the same price) obviously not if someone paid 44.5

I was sort of lucky, wanted a black SS Manual with the 2015 sale and 5yr warranty, I end up flying from Adelaide(were they make the bloody things) to Melbourne and bus to Geelong to pick up car and drove back to Adelaide. It was ordered in oct15 by the dealership but guy buying had to cancel due to losing his job, built 20th Jan 16 and sat on there lot for months I got it late march(i'm guessing people wanted redlines etc). remember a basic SS no satnav etc like the black editions but i'm happy, could have got a SSV 15 build for 49K drive away but those deals are all gone nowdays.

Got tinted windows and floormats fueltank of 98 and permit to drive back to SA.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Last edited:

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
I tried the Redline but the following turned me back to the SS (in order of turn off factor):
  1. The Redline is basically $10K more to buy and heavier in kerb mass
  2. My head always hits the roof lining on front passenger side (I'm 6'3") due to the Sunroof ceiling contours.
  3. Styling is identical on the outside (Redline should have had a more aggressive body kit to enhance its stance on the street (basically they look identical unless up close on the dash and brakes).
  4. Redline Wheels can't be fully rotated front to back. So limited to non-directional tyres. Just imaging when the apprentice forgets and puts them on back to front. Also the cost of the rear tyres vs the extra grip offered is marginal.
  5. If you are unlikely to ever track drive the car, what use are Brembos in everyday driving around town really? Plus the cost of pads. AP Racing brakes are in fact a better brake caliper and the pads are easier and cheaper to get. Therefore get the SS and do just the fronts for a couple grand.
  6. Heated seats come on... really is it that cold is Australia for anymore than a month or two (even in Canberra..) Waste of money quite frankly in most places for most climates.
  7. Good drivers don't need Lane departure and a cameras in the windscreen etc that just adds more $$ when replacing the windscreen.Coloured DIC - again gimmicks but frankly unnecessary additional costs added weight etc.
  8. Engine tune and gearing is exactly the same as the SS no improvement.
  9. Ok FE3... Hmmm again unless doing punishing laps on a track, it is really just a harder ride for normal driving conditions which accounts for 95% of redline owners. Just wait until you put a FE3 on the outback so called 'highways' which are just so ruff you will beg for FE2. and 17" wheels.
  10. Extra leather - nice initially but for me over the top compared to the SS.
  11. If the Redline would have come with an exhaust upgrade, intake upgrade, gearing change, ECU remap plus better exterior styling enhancements and 50-75KW more engine power (similar to a Walkinshaw kit) then the Redline would be the clear winner hands down.
Thats pretty much spot on mate..... ive got the standard SS because with my budget i wanted some extras.
For example the money i saved on the Redline i got.
20 inch wheels
Walky Springs
Walky W375 ( since updated to W407 )
Tinted windows
Blackout kit.
Police Brakes.
Drive away for 58k

Im happy with what ive got and the ways its been moded out. though i would love the HUD and maybe FE3 suspension.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah, but who gives a ****?! I mean there are some nice ricers around, lots of 30psi 2 litres, not on this forum. Quite the opposite.
John Cadogan saying something is, naturally, a really strong reason to do the exact opposite of what he says.
But just because the devil says black is white doesn't mean you cross at the zebra-crossing without at least checking for traffic first.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
John Cadogan saying something is, naturally, a really strong reason to do the exact opposite of what he says.
But just because the devil says black is white doesn't mean you cross at the zebra-crossing without at least checking for traffic first.
Just open your ears mate, like it or not he is way more qualified than you are, puts 30 psi (same intake pressure as your tyres) ricer yawn in its place.
**** the zebra crossing, you can handle most of what life throws at you as long as you drink the yellow Koolaid responsibly.

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
Yeah, but who gives a ****?! I mean there are some nice ricers around, lots of 30psi 2 litres, not on this forum. Quite the opposite.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't talking up the Civic. Just pointing out that a VF ute beating Ford Transits, Mitsubishi Tritons and other goods carrying vehicles around any race track doesn't make it a great track car.

Also pretty interesting you use Cadogan as an expert reference on what constitutes a good car, 'cause he sure hates on bogan Commo drivers a lot in this video :

Last edited:

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
OK, not serious cornering, more like navigating up the corner shop. That’s where you reckon a BMW coupe handles better than a Redline ute, not a racetrack.
Mate just like everyone here responded, ridiculous to compare the fastest work ute to a hairdresser’s German Gemini based on a quick fang up the shops.
You specifically said it cornered like ****, had “too much” body roll and understeer, and by way of comparing to 15 year old German shitbox you imply is outdated.
This is not logical or a fricken technical argument at all, your misguided opinion without basis in fact.
Inflammatory and not welcome.
hahaha german shitbox.. mate they show aussies how it's done. no doubt... especially seeing how you're now talking facts n all. i think you need to re-read my post and responses. Over steer. and I acknowledged it was not a fair comparison for coupe to ute but..................when it comes to 15 years of motoring improvements and the best performance ute Australia has ever made is out performed in a corner by a near vintage german gemini, i'm concerned.

Last edited: