Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Downsides to LPG Dual Fuel?

SkylerZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT S
Hi guys

Going to be getting a new car in a month or so and I'm pretty set on a commodore. My budgets around 7ish. Anyway I've found a great looking 98 VT S which already has a lot of the modifications that I would have been making to it anyway, but its also got an LPG Dual Fuel system.

I'm not very experienced with Dual Fuel. I've spoken to the guy and he seems pretty genuine, says the Dual Fuel system is setup properly and the engine is mechanically sound, runs great on both gas and fuel.

So my two questions are:

1. How does running on Gas compare to running on Fuel in terms of performance? Does it lose some grunt? Splutter? Anything like that.

2. Even if I ran it purely on Fuel, would it run like a normal car on fuel? Or would it be effected by the presence of the LPG system.

I apologize for my lack of terminology, I'm not overly car savvy :) And I also did try and search this, but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Any info/advice is much appreciated, thanks guys!

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 253 Project - BMW 328i Coupe Daily
it all depends on how it was ORIGINALLY set up as to how the car will run... depending on the type of system and set up, you normally lose a bit of power but nothing to be overly concerned about unless you wanna race people...
and how the car was tuned depends on whether it runs well on gas, or runs well on petrol, or has a 50/50. some are tuned to run better on gas but others splutter when they try to start on gas and stuff. you normally dont have issues with the factory set-ups, but like i said, there are plenty of variables when it comes to dual fuel.

cheers

SkylerZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT S
Hmm ok. I guess the only way to be sure would be to take the guys word on it and test drive it myself. Problem is its a good 3 and a half hours from where I live :p

Anyway, cheers mate.

Adriianz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS
Mmm well if it's daily v6 I'd convert it, if you plan on power mods then don't. If you gave LPG it requires alot if servicing and tuning. If you don't do it properly say goodbye to injectors etc. Just be careful if u get it make sure you take care of the setup and have it tuned regularly, be sure to drive petrol frequently too so u don't kill your standard injectors :) gl

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
LPG tends to be harsh on motors so i'd be checking out how long the gas has been on the car.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I am disagreeing on LPG being harsh on motors. My brother owned his own taxi which ran exclusively on LPG. The engine was still running well at 500000Ks when he sold it. He also was the radio operator for a taxi company and knew many other cab owners who also had High k motors and swore by LPG. It is not just cheaper fuel but it wears the motors much less than petrol. You only have to look at the oil in the two different motors. LPG motors run much cleaner oil (less carbon abrasives) and the oil looks clean from change to change. Engines run on petrol have black oil after only a 1000Ks. More carbon and diluted oil (with petrol getting past the rings). don't believe me? Take your city car on petrol for a 200Ks high speed run on any highway and check your oil level after that. It will be down on the dipstick. petrol, water and acids burned off through the PCV. does not happen with LPG motors. By the way, if you can afford it, LPG liquid injection is the go. imperceptible difference in power between it and petrol. Another long post. Ah well, got to explain what I mean.