Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drag Radials on a VE with stock driveline

kahlnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV A6
I am really interested to know what driveline setups people are using on their VEs down the 1/4 mile who are using Drag Radials or slicks.

I'm running a VE SSV with 450rwhp down the strip and having issues with traction (obviously) on cheap 245/35/20 street tyres. Best I've run is a [email protected] with 2.052 60' and I think it would have at least another 0.5 in it if I could get traction and a good 60'.

I have fully stock driveline (6L80, 2.92 LSD) and am concerned that my trans, shaft, diff or axles may give up if I run Drag Radials, can you guys out there with superchargers (or anything making 400+rwhp actually) etc let me know what drivelines you are running and if you've had any issues with any particular components? Particularly interested to know if the guys running high 10s, 11s and 12s are using stock driveline and drag radials.

It'd be great to know your rwhp, driveline, tyres and 1/4 stats (particularly 60' times). Also keen to get any launch tips with stock trans or whatever else you've found helps out down the strip. Also the Drag Radials I have ordered are the Hoosier DOT Drag Radials (245/45R17).

Thanks in advance for your help...

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Change the diff ratio for a start. 3.9 or similar.

kahlnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV A6
Ian, excuse my ignorance as there isn't many (if any) other VEs in NZ running at the meets I go to, why do I need to up the ratio apart from obvious reasons that apply to all cars? Is there a problem I'll encounter with my current 2.92? cheers

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'm running a VE SSV with 450rwhp down the strip and having issues with traction (obviously) on cheap 245/35/20 street tyres. Best I've run is a [email protected] with 2.052 60' and I think it would have at least another 0.5 in it if I could get traction and a good 60'.

What track are you at??
Taupo has a high altitude (thinner air) and quite often produces slower times,
I like the track prep at Meremere; it's quite good. (consistently gets the front wheel of my 300+kg Harley off the ground, and sub 1.9sec 60footers)
maybe a switch of tracks will improve your ET? or even the time of year/ conditions of the day will get you into the <11.99 zone.
the tyres you have on order should help, Good Luck.

kahlnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV A6
Thanks Deuce, I have ran twice at Masterton and once at Tokoroa, both airstrips. Had a pretty even spread of times from 12.5 to 13.2 with a couple shockers into high 13s. Main concern is that I will break something with the DRs but I suppose if I take it easy I'll feel the break point hopefully just before I hit them. Is Meremere still open or have they started repairs?