Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drag strip virgin

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt s-pack supercharged
Like the post says Iam a drag strip virgin and have never driven a pass. I have a newly built vt l67 with mods listed in previous posts. The commo has 215.2 rwkw / 288.7whp and Iam keen to see what it does at the strip and so is the engine builder. Does anyone have any tips for staging and take off methods for a good run?

VY Rossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS 5.7L M6
If your running street tyres don't do a massive burnout just spin the wheels to get the water off them.
Also don't worry about the other car just go out and have fun

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hit the accelerator and release the brakes on the last set of lights beofre the green lights. But don't try and go full racer, have fun, see what the car can do, you aren't there to win trophies.

If you have any questions, ask the marshells.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Perth motorplex track is not prepped properly until November when the big meets happen, until then its not 100% prepped.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
My 2 cents:

Shallow stage for consistent runs. There is some margin in between the two light beams that have to be blocked by the front wheels in order to stage. You can be forward or back in the beams and still block them. Roll forward slowly until the second of the two lights j-u-s-t comes on. That will put you in the same place each time.

Stall up the engine with your foot on the brake before the green light. That will be faster. Don't sit there like that for ages waiting for the lights though or you'll cook the trans. fluid. You can vary the rpm once you've done a few runs to find the sweet spot.

Warm the engine up in the staging lanes or you'll be running on a cold engine (and trans.). If you have accurate engine temp. info. i.e. not just a factory gauge then aim for high 90's C, not thermo fan on (104C).

If you happen to red light, don't hesitate. Keep going because you'll still get an elapsed time.

The easiest rookie mistake is to stage with the rear wheels. Try not to do that but if you do it's not the end of the world. Just back up and restage. Do make sure that you stage the second time by moving forwards and not still in reverse. The marshalls should be watching for that one though.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Staging is probably the most complicated thing you'll have to do. And if the bogans i've seen can do it, i have 100% confidence you can too lol

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
if it's an auto leave the traction control on down the track.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
if it's an auto leave the traction control on down the track.

im new to it also.

Why is that to leave it on? Due to the kick in changing gears and concrete walls hurting cars?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The Traction Control will limit wheelspin and the auto will change better than 90% of drivers.

Just keep the foot buried.

On a VX - power mode, trac off then warm tyres, trac on, stage, go.

Also you need to compensate for lag so hold the car with revs at 3 grand or so and let the brake go on the last or second last orange and bury it the car will dig in then go - never wait for the green, no matter what you think you aren't that quick :)

Above everything though think about each launch and talk to those who race regularly if possible, my Uncle has been racing longer than I've been alive and always give good tips :)

SV6SIDI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE, FG XR6 TURBO
i dont know if the trac control is any different from vx to vy , but the traction control sucks in my vy. it bogs down if i try to take off quick and feels retarded if i try to stall it up (cuts power completely for 1-2 seconds). i rekon stall it up to about 2000rpm traction control off dont mash the pedal though , ease into it and then keep it flat. that has given my l67 the best take off while keeping wheelspin to a minimum. this is all just advice though, do what ever you feel works best for you.