Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

dragging brakes?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you get a gen centre bearing Rob. The aftermarket stuff is pretty poor as found out when mine went bang a second time less than six months of having the original one replaced.

Davo_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s2
Yeah Synthetic caliper slide grease Rob. I reckon Repco now stock it. I normally buy it from eBay. I buy a tube once every 8 - 10 years. The Bendix satchet stuff is good but might need to get it from a brake place.
Yeah nah they sell it at supercheap losh.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you have a problem finding caliper grease, I've used Castrol HTB in its various versions on caliper pins and front wheel bearings since disc brakes were introduced to Australia in the late 1960's. Never had any problem with it melting, even on FWD's towing large unbraked boat/trailer combinations through the mountains- which would be totally illegal these days.

The brake stickling could be your driver's side brake pistons are not retracting due be a dirty caliper bore or the O rings on the pistons have lost their elasticity and not returning the piston .

The shudder when accelerating after braking could be caused by something in the front suspension or engine/gearbox mounts moving when the forces on the car body reverse- I'd look at all rubber components and if the car has had a hard life look for cracking around things like the front suspension strut bearing.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I don't think a slight warped rotor would make it shudder. I be looking at your front suspension or even a hub bearing.

It feels like it is shaking the whole car and then stops

If its bad as you say its not brake related.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I don't think a slight warped rotor would make it shudder. I be looking at your front suspension or even a hub bearing.

A slight warped rotor does make a shudder under braking.....If it's through the steering wheel, it's the front rotors.....If the brake pedal pulsates under braking, the rear rotors are slightly warped....

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Rob, check that your calipers are on tight.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Isn't the problem accelerating after releasing the brakes? - " strong vibration or shudder for a second or 2 when accelerating after releasing the brake pedal."
That's why I think the cause is something that is affected by the change in forces from braking to accelerating- like the suspension.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A slight warped rotor does make a shudder under braking.....If it's through the steering wheel, it's the front rotors.....If the brake pedal pulsates under braking, the rear rotors are slightly warped....
Not on take off for a few seconds after taking your foot off the brake, besides your not even doing 40k's yet, it could be bad engine and transmission mounts or tail shaft issues or a rough engine due to bad spark.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not on take off for a few seconds after taking your foot off the brake, besides your not even doing 40k's yet, it could be bad engine and transmission mounts or tail shaft issues or a rough engine due to bad spark.

If you read the first post, it is described that the right hand front wheel is dragging, when it is being rotated, with the weight off the wheel. So to me, this would indicate a caliper slide pin is sticking and a sticking slide pin will cause a rotor to become warped.

It is also mentioned, the Op has noticed some vibration under braking recently, which to me, is another indicator of a warped rotor, caused by a sticky slide pin.

Where I am right or not, I don't know.....It's somewhere for the OP to check to help solve the issue

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
In the last few days I have experienced a disturbing strong vibration or shudder for a second or 2 when accelerating after releasing the brake pedal
It feels like it is shaking the whole car and then stops

Car will not vibrate upon take off and shudder the car from a brake rotor at such low speed. Like I said suspension or mounts or tail shaft even motor could shake the car on take off if its lagging due to spark breaking down when loading up the engine, I would expect shudder upon braking with a buckled rotor and at speed which may also be a bad tyre or rim but not at take off, that is a load issue you know power (torque) related until you level out the speed hence the reason it only last for a few seconds upon take off. Well that's my understanding from the message.

under braking recently and the whirring from the (straight) slotted rotors has seemed to be getting more noticeable
Maybe the brake pads rubbing but can also be the hub bearing..

Last edited: