Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

dragging brakes?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Car will not vibrate upon take off and shudder the car from a brake rotor at such low speed.

So if you have a slightly sticking caliper slide pin, there is no way it would cause a shudder on take off?

Might be best you re-think that one.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This has happened 3 times. It feels like it is shaking the whole car and then stops. I am interpreting it as a brake problem.

In the last few days I have experienced a disturbing strong vibration or shudder for a second or 2 when accelerating after releasing the brake pedal

Unless he can get to 60km per hour in 1 second flat to feel the other second of shaking the car to bits then no need to re-think. Unless he meant a minuet or two. Funny that its only did it three times you would think it be doing it at every stop and take off, also at speed when the wheel rotates at a faster rate, anyhow hope he gets to the bottom of it that's the main thing.

I have been experiencing some vibration under braking

Only some, but its worse on take off, not saying he needs a disk machine if he has the 14mm minimum requirement to do so with new pads, but I think there more issue than just the brake in what picture I'm getting to what's going on in his message.
Good luck.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Unless he can get to 60km per hour in 1 second flat to feel the other second of shaking the car to bits then no need to re-think. Unless he meant a minuet or two. Funny that its only did it three times you would think it be doing it at every stop and take off, also at speed when the wheel rotates at a faster rate, anyhow hope he gets to the bottom of it that's the main thing.

I honestly think you have no idea how caliper slide pins work and how they can cause issues...

Only some, but its worse on take off, not saying he needs a disk machine if he has the 14mm minimum requirement to do so with new pads, but I think there more issue than just the brake in what picture I'm getting to what's going on in his message.
Good luck.

The other things you have pointed out, I have doubts as it to being the cause, as well, but it is worth the OP checking them out

I'd also ask you what causes a brake pad to rub?

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Putting your foot on the brake peddle. ;)

So judging by this response, everytime someone puts their foot on the brake pedal, the car should shake, because the pads rub...

Good to know....The Op has nothing to be concerned about....Worthwhile closing the thread

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
So judging by this response, everytime someone puts their foot on the brake pedal, the car should shake, because the pads rub...

Good to know....The Op has nothing to be concerned about....Worthwhile closing the thread
You asked rub not shake. Be more pacific. If its shaking ( shudder ) then its a rotor or brake issue or hub, but as I said shuddering the whole car at take off for 2 seconds when your probably doing 15km/h by that stage would not shake the crap out of your car. I wont respond to this no more not getting in to a argument over it. Stop adding words to cause argument, good luck to him or her in resolving the issue.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I didn't mean to instigate a debate by starting this post. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to respond to my query.
As it happens my initial diagnosis has led everyone (including me) well astray. And I think Losh gets the prize for flagging the centre bearing as a likely culprit. I hadn't considered it because it had been replaced about 5 years ago but it had failed because the adjacent CV joint had run short of lubricant and, because it wouldn't move freely in one plane it was causing excess movement in the drive shaft. Interesting that it didn't seem to cause a noticeable vibration.
I also had a dragging front brake caliper so fronts have been kitted and all now feels good. So there are koala stamps for those who indicated that brakes were unlikely to be the cause of the vibration I described. I think everyone's a winner!
This forum works because we share information and for an rank amateur like me that is immeasurably valuable. Out of this episode I also found a local mechanic who is happy to talk to me and has said to never hesitate to come and talk to him even if it's just to ask him for advice. I like that.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition