Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dragstrips/Racetracks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Isn't the Nats mainly for a bunch of posers.....??

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Isn't the Nats mainly for a bunch of posers.....??
It's a mixed bag really - particularly now, but traditionally the looser parts of the event have (possibly inadvertently) been for derros and bogans. Having said that it used to be very exciting, even if you weren't into group intimidation for girls to get their tits out.

Unfortunately I never got a chance to go during it's proper glory days, I think the first time I went was circa 2005 or maybe a bit earlier, but that gives you an idea of how long it's been on a slow downward trajectory. From the late 80s into the mid 90s it was pretty much just a lawless event, I think when they did the city cruise early on a lot of them would do massive burnouts down Northbourne avenue, I also remember hearing stories about the crowds watching that would bend traffic lights over to the ground, not sure how accurate that is though. Exhibition Park where it's held has a loop road inside the venue (the "promenade") which would just be packed with fairly hot and powerful cars that would just rip huuuge skids at will - think of cars with 671 blowers and more being commonly driven around. You really got to see some powerful cars stretch their legs up close, without barriers. That's all gone now, no skids allowed (although they did have "skid street" or something last time, no statics though) which is probably because of insurance.

The downside is the kind of crowd that this attracted, to a lot of people it was just an event to completely unleash and be as big of a gronk as they could. BYO alcohol got banned eventually which apparently made a massive difference. I do remember the first couple of times I went a had a few friends that brought their girlfriends and we were standing down the back of Exhibition Park watching for some skids in the lesser monitored parts of the event - obvs this is also the place where the derros will congregate. At this point it's 2pm and some of them have sunk a bit of piss and it's just generally a crowd mentality as to what to do - of course that means 50-100 dudes yelling "black top" at the singular girl in the crowd watching who is wearing a black shirt to get her boobs out. Gets kinda old quick. Unfortunately I think it's hard to be able to separate the act of ripping a skid and acting like a ******** for a lot of people, you can't really have one without the other at an event like that.

It's a swings and roundabouts situation - the crowd behavior there now is a lot better, but it's because of the reduction of actually exciting things. The event is largely a car show with trade stands and a few driving events, cars can still drive on the promenade but have to go slow and not do anything. As before they seem to want a particular type of car too, even if you just want to park it at the show and shine, but what that is isn't really clear either. That's fine, but last time I bought a Saturday pass it was like at least $120 (I think it's about $100 now), they don't even do any of the driving events on the Saturday except for maybe the khana cross, entire weekend passes were something $350. It's a bit of an ask for what is essentially now a trade show with a massive show and shine with very little to offer that's new - although they seem to be spending up big on entertainment and acts which I'm not really into. It's not so much that it's bad now, but it's not great value for money. Also, considering what the event was and its reputation to some extent still is (I think a lot of Summernats has survived on its name), I think I'd find it pretty disappointing if I was coming from a decent distance away.

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
thats pretty accurate write up. I did red centrenats as well last year, and of the 2 I think I prefer RCN.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Haven't been to summernats , are well, remember a few years ago my missus said should go = unfortunately still haven't.
Eastern Creek = been on = drags =car .
On the full track on the bike = huge fun.
People remember Oran Park raceway !!!= been on north circuit in cars, south circuit on bikes .
Or Amaroo raceway ( remember that one ) = the castrol 6 hour= bikes.
Haven't been on with a bike but even in a car = that back straight, 90 degree right hander , a full on solid wall staring you square in the face= very intimidating !!!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I tip my hat to the Shinin family...They certainly cater for the S.A motor sport community

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
I tip my hat to the Shinin family...They certainly cater for the S.A motor sport community
Biggest money scammers alive
Don't every fill up at OTR, your fuel system/engine will thank you

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Biggest money scammers alive
Don't every fill up at OTR, your fuel system/engine will thank you

Shite, my engine should be cactus...That's the only place I do fill up....Have been for 10 + years now....

And yes, I'm aware how the Shinin family work.....I knew their accountant that had years ago....He mentioned never to get involved with them, as they will take everything you own....

That accountant no longer deals with their account because he moved to NSW....

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Can't wait for the new track, it looking amazing.

Hopefully the car will be done in time for the first public meet. Bought a new converter specifically for this (being built currently), and built a 3.7 rear end for it last year, thats how keen I am to get back to it since AIR closed down :)

Roll Racing has been a good bandaid in the meantime, and the bends facilities and accomodation have been top notch. But it's a race designed for boosted cars that need a rolling start or for cars with too much power and not enough tyre/suspension. Half the fun of the drags is nailing the launch and the 60ft......rolling starts are boring imo.

Last edited: