Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dreaded Antenna ( quick fix )

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi all
I have some experience with my old VT Commodre and replacing the motorized antenna, it was not an easy 20 minute job, especially when you have never done it before. Yes, I fixed it, it took best part of an afternoon.
Now with my VZ it's happening again, the click click click is never ending. I am unsure if that means the mast is just bent or the motor is faulty.
However, to fix it properly I don't have time or care to honest. I would much rather just disable the antenna and use mobile phone for radio and bluetooth streaming etc,

How can I just disable the antenna ( the easiest way ) , from the rear of the tuner or the base of the staff or the inside passenger side.
I have looked in the inside of the passenger foot well but it did not look as familiar as the VT and I was not sure where the antenna was from here.
Also , just pulling the antenna from the tuner is no easy task is it? I have to remove many dash and side panels IIRC.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I disabled mine. I undid the plastic wheel arch mudguard thing, and then unplugged it there. Just behind the front wheel. Taped up the ends to keep crap out in case I want to sell it in future. Can't remember if I took the wheel off. I think I did. I don't know if they are all the same or not. I got the original Blaupunkt - which is one of the best features of the car, in my opinion - and every time I turned it on, the damn aerial went up. That solved it. I just use one of those USB radio transmitters you plug into the ciggie lighter now, it does not need the aerial up to work.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I restored mine to working order first, I should add. That's not hard. It just needed a little cleaning, bending and lubricating.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
bye a new one ebay cheap

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can get manual antennas. These were fitted to base model VZ commodores until 2007.

Just needs the power plug left unattached.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
radio sucks, just remove the trigger wire from behind the HU if you want to disable it semi-permanently :D

Reactions: Lex

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
radio sucks, just remove the trigger wire from behind the HU if you want to disable it semi-permanently
I am trying this now and I haver the after market JVC double din unit out.
I thought i could just remove the aerial cord but no, i need to remove a wire but which wire. Do I cut it or pull it out of the plug?

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yeah i am not an auto electrician
Back to taking the wheel arch off i think , which i balked at because of those plastic push screws , never know how to remove them