Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dreaded Cold Start Ticking....Again

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Its been said before by others, old holden owner manuals specified how to adjust valve cleanances while todays owners manual warns you not to drink the battery acid :eek:
I remember when I worked in a spare part shop I'd always have a laugh at the first fitting instruction for fan belts.

"Ensure engine is off"

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Hi all, I’ve just my L77 rebuilt and engine builder has filled it and recommends 15W40 grade oil. I thought the 15W maybe to thick for cold Melbourne winter morning starts, any thoughts ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi all, I’ve just my L77 rebuilt and engine builder has filled it and recommends 15W40 grade oil. I thought the 15W maybe to thick for cold Melbourne winter morning starts, any thoughts ?
I'd ask the engine builder to start with. He should have a reason for using it, which is hopefully not just because that's what he had leftover. Might come down to how you use the car, Short trips to get coffee or track day drifting ..

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
My L77 has had the same noise for 8 years I have owned it,
And still sounds the same everyday I start it, and drive it,
Purchased it at 17,000 k/s, and its now clocked over 217,000 k's,
I asked the Dealer at the time, "Brighton Holden" and said that's normal,
So I just keep driving it, and still drives great.

@Smitty Your welcome to have a listen to my L77 anytime,
as I am in Bayside also,
either I can come to you as I am usually on the road,
or you come to me, either/or.
PM me if you like.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
depends on what you mean by noisy....
a 5.0 Holden EFI engine on startup is quieter than ANY LSx engine
(and I have had them all... VR HSV to VX SS to VE SSv to HSV GenF)
and
even at a higher cold idle with a flat tappet engine (versus roller on Lsx)
a Holden cast iron V8 is quiet . Yeah there is still a bit of the sewing
machine but nowhere near the ticky thrash of an LS3

The 5 litre in my VS was quiet as a mouse except for the injectors firing and that had 292,xxx kms on it when I sold it.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
I'd ask the engine builder to start with. He should have a reason for using it, which is hopefully not just because that's what he had leftover. Might come down to how you use the car, Short trips to get coffee or track day drifting ..
Thanks greenacc, I need to take it back for checking after 1k kms, will quiz them about it

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Sorry for the late reply gents, home-schooling is doing my head-in.
Thanks for your replies!
Best I provide a more detailed summary of the car's history, kms are approximate but pretty close.

September 2017 VF2RL auto
FYI I am in the CBD and surrounding suburbs

From new to 25,000km, super quiet on start up, smooth idle, nothing to fault
*@27,000km - Aftermarket full exhaust system + tune + change to Royal Purple fluids (not sure of engine oil viscosity)
*@27,500km - Changed to a quieter muffler which incidentally makes engine noises easier to detect.
*@28,000km to 29,000km - Intermittent rough idle on cold start lasting about 5 seconds, happened a few times then resolved spontaneously and no problems since.
*@30,000km - Began to tick slightly on cold starts (parked overnight for a minimum of 10 hours), this would last about 10 seconds then subside.
*@31,000km - Deteriorated rapidly, loud ticking on cold start and did not subside much when engine was up to temperature, changed to LS7 lifters (not at Holden), mechanic reported that all other components in good shape. Engine now quiet on cold start, no ticking whatsoever.
*@32,000km - Detected very small amount of ticking on cold start, lasting about 10 seconds.
*@34,000km - Ticking getting a bit louder (probably still within "normal/acceptable range" and lasting maybe 15 to seconds.

In my uneducated opinion, the issue lies with the observable changes rather than taking a current/static measurement of the noise.

Fire away gents!

Last edited:

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
What grade of royal purple?
The fact that we are in the middle of winter might have something to do with it as well. Does it make the same noise on a warm start?
No, warm start no probs.
Up to 5 to 6 hours between starts and she's fine.
Leave it overnight (10+hours and it ticks).
As mentioned earlier sounds like an oil pressure issue perhaps? Any known pump issues on these models? In any case it has to be checked!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
No, warm start no probs.
Up to 5 to 6 hours between starts and she's fine.
Leave it overnight (10+hours and it ticks).
As mentioned earlier sounds like an oil pressure issue perhaps? Any known pump issues on these models? In any case it has to be checked!
Not sure about the pumps but If warm starts are ok that's probably a good thing. The oil would still be warm and thin after a few hours so it sounds like a thinner oil might give you quieter cold starts. But then you would need to consider if it protects well enough when driven hard and work out the best product overall.
Has anyone suggested piston slap yet?

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Not sure about the pumps but If warm starts are ok that's probably a good thing. The oil would still be warm and thin after a few hours so it sounds like a thinner oil might give you quieter cold starts. But then you would need to consider if it protects well enough when driven hard and work out the best product overall.
Has anyone suggested piston slap yet?
Piston slap has been ruled out, even I can tell the difference between the two.