Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dream Car at Last 2008 VE SS-V Ute

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Ahh, a nice fresh ute. Congratulations mate.

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Alright ripshifter is in...

What a pain in the arse that was!

I wouldnt do that again in a hurry without a hoist and a smaller set of hands. Was plagued all day with seized bolts, hands not fitting into areas, a gear knob that did not want to ####ing budge, a bad back, and stupid flanges on the cats. Had to chop up the flanges as they had a lip on them which stopped me from getting a ring spanner on it. The dremmel fixed that but it chewed up a fair bit of my time. Had lost all daylight by the time id finished, which made things even harder.

Went for a quick drive when it was all finished. Shifts do feel a lot more positive. And the spring for 3rd gear is pretty cool. Did notice a small increase in noise and it feels like it sits higher than the stock one did, not sure if anyone else thinks that as well. Because of the spring, the shifter feels heavier to move, especially 1,2,5,6,and R as they are pushing against the spring.

Will reserve judgement till i drive with it a bit more and ill report back.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Alright ripshifter is in...

What a pain in the arse that was!

I wouldnt do that again in a hurry without a hoist and a smaller set of hands. Was plagued all day with seized bolts, hands not fitting into areas, a gear knob that did not want to ####ing budge, a bad back, and stupid flanges on the cats. Had to chop up the flanges as they had a lip on them which stopped me from getting a ring spanner on it. The dremmel fixed that but it chewed up a fair bit of my time. Had lost all daylight by the time id finished, which made things even harder.

Went for a quick drive when it was all finished. Shifts do feel a lot more positive. And the spring for 3rd gear is pretty cool. Did notice a small increase in noise and it feels like it sits higher than the stock one did, not sure if anyone else thinks that as well. Because of the spring, the shifter feels heavier to move, especially 1,2,5,6,and R as they are pushing against the spring.

Will reserve judgement till i drive with it a bit more and ill report back.

Sounds like ya had fun, i paid someone to do that for me :p haha as for the noise and height i havnt noticed any difference with mine, mines the same with the shifter feeling heavier, but i perfer it haha was too soft and sloppy before

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Yea i think paying someone might have been the way to go haha. Yea as i said they were only things i noticed on the short drive i took, ill see if they bug me or i like them in the coming days lol. You can shift a hell of a lot faster though :D lol

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Okay so after driving with the ripshifter for a couple of weeks ill give you my opinion...

I think its a great product, it definitely allows you to shift a lot quicker and the box now feels a lot firmer. It suits my driving style well and means i have no more half shifts into 3rd when my mind wanders a little. Cant really say its got an amazingly shorter throw but definitely less than stock.

Now for the but...

But i dont think it is worth the money... I read plenty of reviews on the shifter before i bought it and was convinced that it was the ducks nuts and it did everything under the sun. Dont get me wrong its a good product, but maybe for a $200-300 price bracket. I just think $500RRP is a little steep. In terms of car mods $500 aint all that much but i find myself thinking it could be a bit cheaper, i can appreciate all the r&d that went into it though. I think its a mod that you would do eventually but if you had other things on the list and you couldnt decide what to do id probably push it a little further down the list.

To sum up im happy with it, its a good product, but if i had my time again probably not my first choice of mod to blow my money on.

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Okay, so after 4 months of trying to sell my old ute, it is finally time for us to part ways. Just goes to show how **** it is being a seller of a used car in Tassie atm.

So the time has come to spend some dosh on my new girl.

I have wanted to do the exhaust since day 1 as I'm sick of my V8 sounding like a hairdryer Iol. I'm fairly set on a 3" catback but am stuck on the brand. Cant decide between a KPM, VCM or H&M / Perry. Each have their own pro's and con's but I can't nail it down just yet. Plus, the option of just doing the full system now keeps popping into my head. Only thing is if I do that, it will need a tune... So a CAI may as well go on at the same as well. So a 2 grand exercise has now turned into a 6 grand exercise. I guess that's why they call it the mod bug lol.

So any thoughts, opinions, comments, criticisms are all welcome.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Okay, so after 4 months of trying to sell my old ute, it is finally time for us to part ways. Just goes to show how **** it is being a seller of a used car in Tassie atm.

So the time has come to spend some dosh on my new girl.

I have wanted to do the exhaust since day 1 as I'm sick of my V8 sounding like a hairdryer Iol. I'm fairly set on a 3" catback but am stuck on the brand. Cant decide between a KPM, VCM or H&M / Perry. Each have their own pro's and con's but I can't nail it down just yet. Plus, the option of just doing the full system now keeps popping into my head. Only thing is if I do that, it will need a tune... So a CAI may as well go on at the same as well. So a 2 grand exercise has now turned into a 6 grand exercise. I guess that's why they call it the mod bug lol.

So any thoughts, opinions, comments, criticisms are all welcome.

awesome mate! im going to give u my totally biased opinion haha go the 3" kpm man! get so many comments on how mine sounds and even after everything ive done its still droan free!

as for intake deff go a vcm otr one of the best, up to u to go maf or mafless tho

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Lol i knew you'd chime in with that. I've pretty much read every "which exhaust" thread on here and you always back your beloved kpm. They should pay you for advertising. Haha.

I like the fact that I haven't heard a single bad word said about kpm. The price tag is the only thing putting me off a little. It's $800 dearer than the other two. I understand you get what you pay for but I have read a lot of good stuff about vcm. Only problem is I can't find a video anywhere to see what they sound like.

As for the otr I would definitely be going the vcm anyway. From what I've read they are pretty much the best out there.