Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dream ute

Jacko81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Hey everyone
Names Jacko and im new here so Gday. Ive wanted a fast ute since i was a little boy and it was only about 2 years ago that i got myself a VZ SS Ute. Needless to say i love the thing but recently im bored with it stock. I was talking to a mate of mine and he told me he knows a guy who can get me an LSX ( http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/lsx-376-b15 ) I love the idea of this engine swap but would it be possible or would it just be a huge pain? Im aiming for around 550 whp with this so will i need to replace the tranny as well? Sorry if these are noob or stupid questions, my knowledge on these cars isnt as great as perhaps it should be.
Cheers and much appreciated
Jacko

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
What motor, transmission and differential combination does the ute run now.
Wow ten thousand for a bare Chev motor, why not fit a 6.2 litre 'LS3' V8 and 6 speed auto or manual.
Maybe buy a latest ute that been written off and use all the guts for yours.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
need way more information on what you want to do with the car, NA FI etc budget. 550hp at the wheels is roughly 412kw which is a massive number NA, more achievable with forced induction but not something that you would generally use as a daily driver.

Jacko81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Hey guys, my apologies for leaving a reply so late, ive been overseas for work and only got back 3 days ago. My ultimate goal for this car was to have a high 10 second street car to keep up with my mates who have just that, except they use FPVs. I really want to use the LSX and as for induction, supercharging should get me to where i want to be because i realise i will probably need more power. Budget is about 60k. I have a mate offering to swap my ute for his cv8 monaro vz plus 6k, would my goals be more achievable with the monaro than the ute? Just a bit of background info on my driving experience before people start telling me how fast and impractical my car goal is, i have been racing cars since i was 9 (karting) and have driven multiple 10 second street cars (granted most of them have been e85 sucking imports, supras, an evo and an s14.) Anyway, cheers guys, very much appreciated

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
60k?
Buy yourself a tuff as AF HK HT HG Kingswood or Premier with a stout AF motor and cruise for days.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Give or take a bit, but you could have something you are after well within your budget.
Got quoted a while back so prices may have gone up a bit, but a Forged 7L stroker for a VZ with all the driveline also done was roughly around the 20-25 mark. It was to be ready for a top mount SC.
Can actually possibly get to your desired mark without FI. But would obviously be a bit much for daily use.

If you want to, then go for it, keep it clean looking and when it is sitting there no one will be any the wiser.

Jacko81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Hey guys, thanks for the inputs, im really appreciative of it. Would i be able to make the numbers i want on just 98 octane? And how strong are the gearboxes, diffs ect in the vz ute or monaro? Just want to know if id need to build or replace them. Sorry if these questions are pretty noobish, most of my experiance with tuning and building has been with japanese tuner cars like i said before. But yes, im happy to go with forced induction, always loved the response and whine of a supercharger.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
I dont think the stock box will like 550hp much. Depending on
what combo you get you' need a torque converter (if its an auto)
to make the most of where the power is.

The 6 speed manuals are a tough box and with a decent
clutch,should handle it.

The other thing with the auto (if it is) is the shifts will
feel like ****,you'd want the box tricked up ideally,make it more fun
and potentially more usable. (shift kitted etc)

You could probably put a cheap turbo on it and a
highstall and show your mates up costing under 10k. hahaha

I would love your ute, i turned mine into a vz,but it isnt.
Your motor with a cam should be good for 400hp at the wheels.

Anyway,i'd be inclined to put a blower on the stock motor
with a suitable cam. The top mount eaton 2300 or similar.
You should get the figures youre after.

Bit of encouragement. ;)