Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drew's VB daily runabout

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
Yeah it doesn't seem to rev much higher, but it's only slightly quicker on take off as well. Not much of a difference there so i'm hoping fuel wise it's going to be still close to how it was.
I'll be chucking a tow bar on it soon so time will tell how suitable it is for towing compared to the old ratio.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
Got an email today with the tracking number for my crossmember!! Yay, will post a pic of it and take measurements on what's been changed to fit vb-vk when it arrives.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Sounds good, you'll be rapt when you get that piece of the puzzle.....

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
Sounds good, you'll be rapt when you get that piece of the puzzle.....

Can't wait to share what mod's need doing and measurements with anyone wanting to do the conversion themselves. Not much helpful info in all i've searched through on the net.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
I so hear you there Ive searched hard and nothing....go the RB LOL

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
Well, the crossmember arrived today.
I thought it was a factory one modified from what i was told by the seller...... No, even better. Instead of a hacked and modded member.....(ok bad john wayne bobbit reference!!!) It's made of box steel and angle iron.
Really simple now i've seen it but seeing as buying it cost far less than going out and hiring a bottle for my old mig (should i then borrow a mates ute to get the mig out of storage) fuel and hassle and buying materials to make my own... Far less swearing too as i normally cop a bit of welders flash nearly everytime i weld anything!!!!
So here it is:
002-6.jpg

001-3.jpg

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Awesome that'll be easy to sort, i've got a celica box in my wagon at pres with a very similar crossmember. Center mount of course but can soon weld up the holes & mount the vl mounts to it. Cheers for the pics its made my night lol

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
Well today i managed to put the VL tank into the VB, blocked off the return line port on the tank (not needed for now) renewed all the vapour lines, changed wiring to suit the VL sender.

Interestingly after searching the net to see if the intank lifter pump would be suitable for running carby and reading on many forums that "it's too powerful" and it's "suitable for EFI only"I decided to check part numbers.... funny enough the internal pump for the VL turns out to be the exact same pump as supplied on the VK and VL carby V8 models equipped with a intank pump to assist the mechanical pump...... I guess on other forums, all those who said it can't be done are talking out their arse and have no idea what they're on about.... bosch catalogue is really easy to find and read!!!!
Only thing i was worried about is whether the stromberg carby on the red 6 would cope with the electric pump (rule of thumb quadrajet can handle up to 7psi fuel presure whereas stromberg shouldn't really exceed 2.5psi) and if not, would i have to remove it incase it posed a restriction big enough to starve the engine under load....
So i hooked up the pump to a temporary switch and took the car for a test run from woy woy to wyoming... Glad to say, all went well. Car drives fine up hills and under load with and without the electric lifter pump running.

Slowly getting bit by bit all the various VL parts into the VB in preparation to the RB30 conversion whilst keeping it a running car, No dead ducks here!!!!

Still looking for a VB-VK 1" master cylinder... every listing i see on fleabay from so called "Brake parts suppliers" have pictured late VK-VL-VN-VP 1" master's saying it'll fit vb-vc-vh.... none have the port for the left caliper at the correct angle to suit the VB nor match the original one on my VH SS. Really frustrating trying to get the right parts from idiots who have no idea what they're on about and insist the "wrong" product being the correct part!
Looks like I'll have to find time to go scrounging at the wreckers!!!!

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
That'll be right, to many cowboys out there talking through a hole in there ass. I reckon the main problem we'll have to sort is the heater wiring. After those crossmember pics i no im sweet there so only mission left will be that heater, i'll probably put mine into a sparky to sort instead of modifying the plenum.....

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
Wiring should easier for you if you're going to use the VL dash.
I'll be keeping the VB HVAC setup with a VK dash, my a/c mate has already sussed out he can adapt the vl engine bay setup to the vb setup.
Wiring custom setups aren't too hard, they just take time and heaps of diagrams!!!