Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drew's VB daily runabout

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Yeah i'm going to use the Vl dash But keep the Vc heater & heater controls, apparently theres a bit of buggering round with the vents but that dont worry me. A sparky will soon sort the electrics.....

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Any updates on this?? Started on mine, sold the Hotwires & the running gear. Got the Vl diff in mine so far, just pulled the engine & trans out of the Vl today so going to get the Vc into the shed tommorow & start stripping her out. Going to fit the engine & set it all up to running stage then haul it back out to paint and detail the bay, picked up a set of 16x8 Roh 5 spoke mags for $100 for the old girl for now.....
Picture362.jpg

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
Not much to report, work finally slowed down enough that i had last weekend off to play with the car.
I installed a tow bar, put in 2 10" subs, a spare old boss 4200 amp to run them, a JBL GTO amp for front and rear speakers.
Made a parcel shelf and mounted an old pair of crappy jvc 6x9's
ran all the wiring.
Painted one of my armrests to see how it comes up whether or not i'll have to retrim them in material vs painting.
Am waiting on work to ease up a bit more before i drop the rest of the running gear and do the transplant (dont wanna get halfway thru and get called into work thanks to all you good ppl out there buying bags of ice for parties and fishing!!!!)
Still looking for a VK dash surround/crashpad.
And last but not least, my deadbeat mate to finally get around to returning my engine crane!!!

Gypsie, yours looks to be coming alone nicely, i might have to bring forward my march start date to get it done to much sooner so i can try to get it done b4 u!

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
The sound system sounds the goods, all ive got in the wagon at pres is a cheap kenwood cd player & some old crappy house speakers in the rear & yes it sounds like crap lol.....
I'd say ill have the motor in mine by next weekend at the latest but that's just to start setting everything up, ill get the 2 dashes out and swap the frames over first. Just put a new motor in my daily so least im still mobile, going to try have this back on the road by the end of February but time will tell on that.....
Dave

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
A little more progress so far, I finally got my Alpine IDA-x303 head unit with bluetooth module in the mail yesterday so i spent the afternoon pulling the old AM radio out and hooked it up.
Have to say the old subs and the JVC 6x9's wont stay long... in fact the sooner i blow em up the sooner i have an excuse to get decent speakers and subs!
Still waiting on my in car Uniden GPS105 Uhf to arrive.
Tried 3M's version of satin black vinyl paint.... VHT's much better (if i dont get dud can's like last time!)
Bit by bit she's slowly taking shape.
Hoping in a week or two i can have the spare time to begin the RB30 conversion, till then little bit's are getting done one at a time.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Awesome sounds good to me, i'm about half way through the conversion on mine. Have a look at my thread, got a fair bit done. Just been held up waiting on welding wire to arrive, i buy it online as it saves $24 but it's taking its time getting here worse luck.....

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
Works been far too busy to do much lately, am waiting for easter rush to die down and this strange hot weather we've been having to cool down so i have spare time to continue my project.
Apart from spare time to do more am also still in need of a VL intermediate shaft (i broke the one out of the VL in a no brainer act of forgetting to remove the bolt completely when i dropped the k-frame)
Will post pics soon of the little details i've done in the last few weeks (parcel shelf etc)
On a side note, easter monday i'm heading to Oberon to pickup a VH and a VK sight unseen for $250 for the pair. Worst case they'll be parts cars. If not future projects.....

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Wow this thing looks imnensly tidy! Love the interior, just a tidier version of mine:)
Good to see the info on a vlt swap.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
Cheers Ajvx01, Most of the interior will be up for sale soon as i'm trying to piece together a custom interior.

Last sunday i picked up a '91 v8 VQ statesman to use as a daily for $500 (bargain) So I dont care if it rains or not, i'm pulling out the ol red 6 and prepping for the RB30 conversion this weekend.

The biggest problem i had with not starting yet was if i didn't get the car up and running ready for work on the monday i'd be stuffed as I can't leave my SS on the side of the road at work in an industrial area so now i've got the VQ, it's all go ahead.

My replacement VL intermediate shaft and VL Calais electric mirrors also arrived today for the VB (cheers coolngroovy, mirrors are near mint and i'm very tempted to put em on the SS instead!)

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
Well the running gear finally sold out of the ol gal yesterday so today i dropped the motor, box, kframe and steering rack out today.
I was going to hook in and get the rb30 in but it got a bit too dark to see so next weekend I'll have it in and begin the heacache of wiring.
Here's some progress pics:
007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg