Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drift SS Ute

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I've got some more bad news for ya, if you plan to run any amount of ethanol you will want to replace the foam in the tank probably once a year, otherwise the ethanol breaks it down and it will clog all your filters, pumps, injectors, etc. Even on straight petrol they recommend changing the foam every five years or so (ten years is the absolute maximum lifespan) depending on the vehicles usage, storage during the off-season, etc.... so you'd better hope the missus enjoys jamming her hands in tight holes!

Also make sure you cut it to the exact size and shape of the tank and pack it in tight, if it can move around it will chafe and wear itself away, again ending up in the fuel system.

Most people go for internal baffles instead, and a Hydramat if you're not using a swirl pot (internal or external). That little sump in the bottom of the tank might be okay for most other uses but I would think drifting requires a little more robust solution? If keeping that setup, I'd say you'll need to keep the tank over half full at all times, otherwise you'll be sucking air on change of direction?

And if not using a Hydramat, I would strongly recommend fitting pre-filters of at least 100 micron depth between the tank and pumps, whereas post-pump filters would normally be 10 micron depth.

Andrew

Harris2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Drift Ute
I did do some reading into the foam before I bought it and there are a lot of mixed reviews. Some people say it breaks down fast and others have it for well over 1yr. I plan to drain my fuel cell after each event and i'll probably check it every 3-6months anyway.

Yeah I've packed it in there pretty well so should hopefully be fine. I can't use a hydramat because my cell is baffled and it just wont fit in there anywhere plus it has the sump style drain so i cant really run the lines for it either. The baffles look good actually and are a decent height. Its only a small cell and the way my filler will be setup it'll take zero time to fill up. I'm running with the foam and baffles and small size of the cell that I wont have any fuel slosh issues.

I was actually recommended a baffled cell and foam by my tuner/engine builder as an alternative to a lift pump/surge to try save some money. Also i wont get very long with the tires so every 2-3 sets i'll just pour more fuel into it so it'll never get below half anyway.

I haven't done much over the last 2 weeks as I've been sick and away for work. I've mounted the cradle with the raised diff section but i'm not happy with it so I'm going to change it. I've done most of the tubing in the rear just need to add another bar in and put some sheet metal in to protect the fuel system incase the driveshaft decides to let go. Also need to finish the fuel cell mounts as well. I've stitch welded most of the tray that i'm concerned about couldn't justify doing it all at this stage.

I also need to remake my sway bar is i didn't realise but its in the way of the axels now as well. I've extended the steering column as well. I've also relocated the wing mounts and shorted the wing up. Tailgate doesn't really work anymore so going to have to redesign that at some stage.

And the motor is finished with the machining and is getting assembled so should get that back soon. Room mate has taken some of his stuff out of the shed so there is substantially more room now as well which is great.

Here are some photos and sorry for the long post still half sick so just rambling...
I also need to rotate the fuel filler as well.
20205674_1559726860758703_2073640591_o.jpg
20216498_1559726864092036_437843930_o.jpg
20187484_1559726887425367_194216081_o.jpg
20227700_1559726917425364_192511066_o.jpg
20257450_1560776760653713_1233990693_o.jpg

jonmuay

Reaction score
Members Ride
not a commo
Cool build! I am new here and wondering what is required to make these drift? For example, I have a e46 and they really need their sub frame reinforced as they tear from the boot so it's like a must have. Is there anything on these you must have, obviously besides a locked diff, coils would be nice etc.