Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drill Sharpener Recommendations

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Now that the 6 cooler months is approaching in the mornings and evening I've been going through the shed, throwing out anything I haven't looked at in 5 years.
What I do use regularly is my 200 odd drills and most are blunt from 25 years of service.

Wondering can anyone recommend a quality drill sharpening machine and yes I've watched a bucket load of YouTube clips on sharpening drills and have decided using a machine would be my preferred method, maybe up to several hundred dollars.
Have drills from 2mm to 24mm but a machine to sharpen say 2mm to 14mm would be good.

[Want do you guys use]and can highly recommend?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
I just use my bench grinder.....If you put a polishing wheel on one end you have a cool multi function tool....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I use a bench grinder too for all drills down to about 4mm. I throw the smaller ones away and buy new ones when they’re blunt generally.

Very handy to know how to use a bench grinder with small parts. You quickly learn with drill bits - because if you get it wrong they don’t cut lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can buy a bench grinder with the groove in the rest which gives you the right angle. Just keep the angle the same on each side and it should drill ok. Took me a while to get the knack of it but once you have an idea it becomes quite easy.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I got one for Christmas a few years ago. Had a crack at it and don't recommend it for anything smaller than about 5mm, it just minces them. Bench grinder would be better once you get your eye in.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Bench grinder here too but like the others, the smaller ones are just easier to replace.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I just use my bench grinder.....If you put a polishing wheel on one end you have a cool multi function tool....
Agreed you fined stuff to polish