Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drinks Holder and Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX MOnaro 5.7 manual 6 speed
Hi guys, with the VY Monaro, I believe the swing out / down / rotate drinks holder in the centre console (vertical bit up to the dash) is the same as the SS yes? My left hand one has snapped and I have managed to get a 2nd hand complete unit from a wrecker thankfully. Any clues as to dismantle whatever to be able to fit it? Videos etc?

Secondly, the Volume Up / Down / Mute controller on the steering has crapped itself (switch broken on the decrease voume and has sent the others into spasms). Is this an easy replacement? Easy to find part?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
They are the same as the SS. There are a number of members here who can tell you how to replace it by dismantling the console/radio/ HVAC.

My advice is ....... don't use them, they are flimsy, and too close to controls that don't like coffee or Coke.
Just be amazed and amused at the magic, but useless, complexity of them as they fold out and back in.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
the buttons doing crazy things will most likely be the clock spring

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
a lot of these little bits and bobs can be quite expensive, i'm confused though is this a looking to buy thread, or a where to buy?

In which case, it belongs here

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
on my old VS i got a drink holder from cheap as chips, and mounted it to the dash by bolting in via the inside of the fascia

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed
Hi guys, with the VY Monaro, I believe the swing out / down / rotate drinks holder in the centre console (vertical bit up to the dash) is the same as the SS yes? My left hand one has snapped and I have managed to get a 2nd hand complete unit from a wrecker thankfully. Any clues as to dismantle whatever to be able to fit it? Videos etc?

Secondly, the Volume Up / Down / Mute controller on the steering has crapped itself (switch broken on the decrease voume and has sent the others into spasms). Is this an easy replacement? Easy to find part?

Alot of us here in the US have had button issues with our steering wheel radio controls. They will either not function at all or volume up will turn the volume down or do some other button's intended function. Many of us have had them replaced under warranty only to have them malfunction again. One person decided to dig in and figure out what was happening and found this out...

The buttons work off resistance. The resistors that are used for each button are too close to each other and is what causes the buttons to go haywire. He soldered new resistors in with better values and his have worked flawlessly since then.

Here is a link to the thread on LS1GTO.com explaining it in detail...

https://www.ls1gto.com/threads/modified-steering-wheel-buttons-electrical-gremlins-fixed.302316/

As far as the cupholders go, they were not available on the GTOs, but I can recall a couple of guys getting some from Australia and installing them.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed