Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drive belt, pulleys or tensioner?

mullumbimby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive wagon.
Pretty urgent I reckon man. If you mean the pulley is all wobbly, then you should get new one straight away. I have the same model and the upper idler pulley got a bit like that and before I "got round to it" the bearing melted and seized, the belt came off and went behind the harmonic balancer and stuffed the sensors behind there. That blew my computer out and a few other things too. So yeah- buy a new pulley.

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt s-pack supercharged
Sorry to hack but I have the same problem with mine since the engine was rebuilt and had a xp hot cam installed (l67)
At idle the tensioner pulley on the serpentine belt jumps about, would that be the cam making it jump about or is the tensioner needing replacing.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Usually its either a worn harmonic balancer, a worn tensioner spring, or worn idler pulleys bearings that cause the idler pulley to jump about..

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt s-pack supercharged
Balancer was done when motor was rebuilt but I stripped all the other pulleys off when I sent the engine off for rebuild and I've replaced majority of the pulleys apart from tensioner and the smooth double one

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
We recently had a whinning sound and replaced all the pulleys and the belt, and now she's as horny as a billy goat.
Also managed to break off the bottom pully brackets shaft which once again is a cheap easy fix.

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
An easy fix, how old are the pulleys, the tensioner and the belt. All are very imnexpensive so why not just replace with new units, the engine will thank you.

+1

Already have new belt, pulleys, tensioner and water pump (along with 7 other parts) ready to be fitted to my car. But I'm performing a major service and doing other things as well so still waiting for two more packages to arrive before I install them.

Einstein1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Equipe
The tensioner can make a noise, but it is more of a tick, and you will see it bounce irregularly at idle.

Sorry to dig up an old thread guys, but if the tensioner ticks and moves, what does that mean? my VS has just started to do that.