Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drive belt tensioner pulley question please

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Hi all, I noticed that the pulley itself is a little bit noisy, my question is can you remove just the pulley itself and replace it ? just like an idley pulley or is it a big job like explained in the Gregories manual for removing the whole thing, like removing the alternator and dropping the water out etc,
thanks.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You can replace the pulley itself. The centre bolt that holds it on is left hand thread.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks heaps mate :thumbsup:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
G'Day Ron, if the pulley has been replaced previously and it is made of pressed steel it is possible to press the bearing out of the pulley (with pulley removed). This reduces the cost to about $8 rather than the $30+ for a new pulley and bearing.
But if it's plastic as per the original one then you will need the $30+ one.
Here is the how to:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/replacing-tensioner-pulley-v6.15996

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
G'Day Ron, if the pulley has been replaced previously and it is made of pressed steel it is possible to press the bearing out of the pulley (with pulley removed). This reduces the cost to about $8 rather than the $30+ for a new pulley and bearing.
But if it's plastic as per the original one then you will need the $30+ one.
Here is the how to:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/replacing-tensioner-pulley-v6.15996

Hi hako, I have had the car since it was only 12 months old, so as far as I know its the original pulley, so looks like I will have to pay the extra, but thanks very much anyway for the tip and thanks for the " how to " as well.
much appreciated :thumbsup: