Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drive Belt Tensioner!

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Umm I have bit of a problem. I recently found that the tensioner pulley is responsible for a loud rattling noise. When trying to undo the pulley bolt I forgot about the left hand thread :bang:, so here I am lifting the pulley to the point the little plate on the tensioner popped off and the tensioner jumped forward a little bit. Now every time I lift the pulley the tensioner wants to come forward! :bang: :bang: :bang:

I tried hitting it back into place and putting the plate back on, but it just pops off again when you lift the pulley. Anyone had this problem before? Im thinking that theres a track or something it sits on and I will have to lift it up heaps again while someone else hits it back on? At the moment the pulley is resting on the power steering pump pulley. And if worst comes to worse and I have to replace the whole lot (I bloody hope not!), the power steering pump will have to be removed, and theres a mightly big spring sitting behind behind the tensioner pulley! Remove the power steering pump pulley and you have a health hazzard :whistling

It just makes my day when **** like this happens! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Wait, what? I lost you there. Two lines, sum it up :p Too tired to read an essay.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Would you like a picture instead? :p No, cant be bothered getting one lol.

The tensioner itself (not the pulley) keeps coming forward. I hit it back in place but when I lift the pulley with a spanner it slides forward again.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Ahhhhhh. Grab another one from the wreckers. They're cheap :p

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Nooo that means the power steering pump and heater pipe will have to come off. And at the moment the tensioner pulley is happily spring loaded against the power steering pulley. Hence the reference to the health hazzard in my 'essay' :).

If all fails, more than it has, looks like I have no other choice. Great, another thing to add to the wreckers list :(.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
That left handed thread is a killer, I know someone who managed to snap the whole arm off. The bolt wouldn't move so they used a breaker bar with 1m of pipe slipped over the end. *snap* How the bolt didn't break first I'll never know, arm must've had a hairline fracture.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ive seen 2 break from people going the wrong way so far

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You broke it foxman, get a new one:p. You better read the book first next time

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
You broke it foxman, get a new one:p. You better read the book first next time

Yep shes rooted, Maybe you can try pulling the pully arm off before removing the power steering pump, it would be better to have the arm fly off forwards than it would be to let the spring unwind. Sercure the pully to the motor with a small bit of rope for added safety.
Matt