Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drive By Wire Pedal

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Can anyone give me a quick run down on the pedal setup with the VE's drive by wire system?

i.e. How it works? I assume a module of some sort is connected to the pedal?

And most importantly, are V6 accelerator pedals interchangeable with V8 (and HSV) ones? Are they all the same?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
as far as i know its like a variable resistor (if thats what there called) like in a slot car controller, a piece of metal slides over a copper rod that looks like coil, depending on the % of throttle changes the resistance changes through the metal contact

it is then basically sends that signal to the ecu which calculates the current load on the engine, how much throttle input your giving it, the gear its in, and what its revving at currently,

it then decides when appropriate to change gears, calculate injector pulse (along with other references) where to position the throttle butterfly, cam phasing and variable intake manifold (if fitted)

thats just amongst other sensor inputs etc,

as for inter compatibility, im not sure, you would think they are the same to make production lines easier but who knows

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
correct expect it has two variable resistors working in opposite directions and the module takes a reading from both to determine the pedal position, and also as a saftey feature if one fails

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Cheers guys, one more question if anyone knows the answer...Not related to VE now though..

Will a pedal off a 5.7L VZ running the E40 computer be compatible with a 6L VZ running the E38 computer? As in plug and play (wiring-wise) compatible?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
dont blow the module up for this i know my junior did it last week 1349 bux to fix so car can drive

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
was a vz aloytec ecu module on motor
runs 5v only and 12v went to it

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
most electronic modules/ sensors run off a 5 volt reference voltage, much easier to maintain 5 volts then 12, due to variable loads on the battery and battery condition

LeviT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
My VZ ls1 pedal sensor seems to be dead. Can i repair it. The car is in safety mode and wont rev up at all. Anyway to test the pedal?