Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driveline shudder

Jonc25

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz maloo
Hi guys.
About 2 years ago I had a hd clutch installed in my manual vz Maloo.
Since then I've had a shudder coming from the driveline while taking off and reversing at low speeds.
I've had a one piece driveshaft built and installed and it's still making noise and shuddering. Any help or has anyone had the same problem??

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's only at low speeds? Fraid that will be the clutch. Mounts and shaft issues or imbalance will present at high speed worst under hard acceleration. What sort of clutch is it?

Jonc25

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz maloo
Hey mate.
Not sure the brand all I know is it's heavy duty. It's only at low speed ie. Reversing or driving into my driveway if I hope off the clutch a bit rough it happens.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Dual mass flywheels behave like that when the rubbers are on the way out. Have you got one and if so did you install a new one with the new clutch?

Jonc25

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz maloo
So a single mass flywheel will solve the problemate?

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s good practice to change the flywheel with the clutch when it’s dual mass. If your fly wheel is dual mass and you didn’t replace it, just replace it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If your fly wheel is dual mass and you didn’t replace it, just replace it.
with a single mass flywheel.

Dual mass is the stupidest idea ever. Lets make something that costs a grand plus that has to be replaced every time the clutch is replaced. No thanks!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I didn't think Holden introduced DMF until the VE in the HSV range. They have their place but that sure isn't behind an LS. Not machining a flywheel that had a hard life could result in the same issue, as well as failing to bed in a new setup. Either way the OP is going to need to crack the box and have a gander

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn't think Holden introduced DMF until the VE in the HSV range. They have their place but that sure isn't behind an LS. Not machining a flywheel that had a hard life could result in the same issue, as well as failing to bed in a new setup. Either way the OP is going to need to crack the box and have a gander
VS Getrag’s had DMF’s. Nice and tight in, loose as a goose out. Input bearing on the Getrag box tends to be OK, lucky given the entire box has to be gutted to replace it....

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
IIRC it wasn’t until the late VEs they bought in the DMF (mine is SMF and it’s 2009). Their place is in small capacity four cylinder engines (particularly diesels) to smooth out the engine vibrations, they have no place in a V8 and IMO are just a money grab by the manufacturers to stitch you up for a couple of grand.

Not machining a normal flywheel can cause vibrations but at least you get the option to machine it whereas DMF can’t be machined and are a throwaway item.

I got my clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder replaced at the beginning of this year as the clutch was shuddering on engagement. The clutch that was in it was a heavy duty type with a very wide clutch plate in it. The flywheel and the clutch had burn marks around it in exactly 1/3rd intervals around the face along the outer edge.

The mechanic couldn’t say what the cause was but I think the clutch plates were too wide (they were a lot wider than I’ve seen on must LS clutches) and the clamping pressure wasn’t uniform across the face of the clutch so the outer edge would touch first and cause the vibrations instead of the whole clutch face engaging uniformly across the face of the flywheel.