Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driveline shudder

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
So a single mass flywheel will solve the problemate?
If your going to pull the box off make sure you replace the slave cylinder if it wasn’t done 2 years ago. My old man made the mistake of not getting the slave changed in his car when the box was out and the slave crapped itself 6 month later so the box had to come out all over again.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
IIRC it wasn’t until the late VEs they bought in the DMF (mine is SMF and it’s 2009). Their place is in small capacity four cylinder engines (particularly diesels) to smooth out the engine vibrations, they have no place in a V8 and IMO are just a money grab by the manufacturers to stitch you up for a couple of grand.

Not machining a normal flywheel can cause vibrations but at least you get the option to machine it whereas DMF can’t be machined and are a throwaway item.

I got my clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder replaced at the beginning of this year as the clutch was shuddering on engagement. The clutch that was in it was a heavy duty type with a very wide clutch plate in it. The flywheel and the clutch had burn marks around it in exactly 1/3rd intervals around the face along the outer edge.

The mechanic couldn’t say what the cause was but I think the clutch plates were too wide (they were a lot wider than I’ve seen on must LS clutches) and the clamping pressure wasn’t uniform across the face of the clutch so the outer edge would touch first and cause the vibrations instead of the whole clutch face engaging uniformly across the face of the flywheel.

Sometimes manufacturers try way too hard. I've heard similar stories from various LS upgrades. Best intention, poor execution. It's why I sold a kidney and went a Mantic 9000 twin, I was nervous initially but it's so smooth, soft and totally deadly when you need it to be

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If your going to pull the box off make sure you replace the slave cylinder if it wasn’t done 2 years ago. My old man made the mistake of not getting the slave changed in his car when the box was out and the slave crapped itself 6 month later so the box had to come out all over again.

And spigot bearing too! I also recommend the remote bleed line, so much easier to change out fluid, none of it ends up in the bell housing

Jonc25

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz maloo
My mechanic just told me a solid flywheel was fitted as part of the clutch kit. Also it is a dcs heavy duty clutch

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sometimes manufacturers try way too hard. I've heard similar stories from various LS upgrades. Best intention, poor execution. It's why I sold a kidney and went a Mantic 9000 twin, I was nervous initially but it's so smooth, soft and totally deadly when you need it to be
I’ve heard that Mantic are the best. Unfortunately my money doesn’t stretch that far!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
And spigot bearing too! I also recommend the remote bleed line, so much easier to change out fluid, none of it ends up in the bell housing
I had a remote bleed line put in mine when they changed the clutch out. The standard bleed nipple is in a stupid spot. Nearly impossible to get at for bleeding the clutch.