Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driver education versus attitude

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
On my other thread regarding dangerous cars for P Platers, a number of members wrote about driver education and attitude being a greater issue than dangerous cars.

Last week, two young blokes were wiped out in a VT travelling at over 130km/h in a 50 zone, when the driver lost it and wrapped the car aroiund a pole near my home on the Central Coast.

The driver was 20, had an extensive driving history, was a suspended driver from only the week before, yet continued to drive, drunk to the eyeballs after a 13 hour drinking session with three others. Another post today has a picture of an Alfa ripped to bits by impact with a polie at high speed at Marsfield. Two more dead.

Now, the point has been made that better education of young drivers would assist with reducing the road toll, but how do you deal with cretins like thiese clowns? Obviously, in relation to the first one, just fining him and taking his license away coesn't remove the ability to get in a car and operate it. Some people obviously should NEVER get a license or be taught to drive, but that still wouldn't stop them from trying.

So how do the authorities deal with people like this - those who simply don't give a damn about observing the road rules, learning how to drive properly, having any sense of community responsibility, caring so little for their own safety so stuff anyone else? Do you believe that proper driver education would have worked with them?

They are clearly a minority, but an expensive one. What to do with them?

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
Do what one senior police officer in the accident investigation unit once said when I was having a discussion with him about it.He replyed"Ild love to take them out to crash scenes,let them scrape dead kids out of cars,and let them be the ones to inform the parents about the deceased,that might make them think twice".....nuff said

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
Do what one senior police officer in the accident investigation unit once said when I was having a discussion with him about it.He replyed"Ild love to take them out to crash scenes,let them scrape dead kids out of cars,and let them be the ones to inform the parents about the deceased,that might make them think twice".....nuff said

well said- THIS is what they should be doing, so they can wake up and realise what they are doing on the road is purely idiotic

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Driver education can only help those wanting help, it will never help idiots.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
as minux said it will only help those that will accept the help

its like a terriorst
if you show them the aftermath of something they did do you reckon they will change??? because it disturbed them???
highly doubt it myself

it will only affect the people who are willing to accept reality and allow them selfs to change

the people who wont change their mind set are narrow minded selfish people
most likly the type to say i have the right to have a licence and not being allowed is discrimunation

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I agree is not about the cars people drive, it about if they can drive or not.

where I live people don't drink, but still we have the highest car accidents death count in the world

that would be 10-12 people dead everyday.

people in my area are kinda more educated than the other areas, so we have much less car accidents than the rest of the country. although we drive the most old and dangerous cars (about 80% of cars older than 7 years).

so to make a long speech short, whatever you do, even give everyone Volvos to drive around, people are still gonna have accidents if no one cared to use his brain while driving

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
^^^ LOL at some of that post..

On topic - Either what others have said, make them go and clean up the fatalities, and tell the parents, or gaol time for repeat offenders.. get serious on them, a slap on the wrist, and a fine or two wont stop the gooses being gooses...

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
how do you deal with cretins like these clowns?

They are clearly a minority, but an expensive one. What to do with them?

Nothing.
they'll take themselves out of the equation sooner or later.

these are the types of people that if you impounded their car, they'd just go out and steal one anyway.
not much you can do but sit back and wait.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Showing collisions dont work as well as people would think! Or knocking on a parents door, works for a few days/weeks depending on the person (and most of the time) but they usually go back to speeding or driving stupid, maybe not AS stupid, but still stupid. I've been to fatalities and dealt with them, but yet i got caught for speeding the first time a month and a bit ago. At licence suspension speed (ok, so i did it for a reason, but that's still not the point [for people that know the story])! Something else needs to be thought of that works. And i can only think of Jail time for certain circumstances. It takes them off the road for a while, then maybe vehicle restrictions or a tracking device [one that can track speed and also limit speed to the speed limit on that road like some vehicles in the UK]. Thats the only thing i can come up with!

blackdoggg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i bel;ieve that honestly nothign can help these people, there are people who just, i dunno, dont think? cant think? i dunno what it is but there seems to be no logic, just 100% idiocy, sadly i know quite a few like this, and i hostly believe they will kill themselves
As for drunk to the eyeballs. If your gonna drink and drive, your screwed from the start. especially once you add speed to it. We have all been drunk, i dunno about other people, but if ive had a few too many, if i look across the room i can see/feel the delay, im not sure if thats normal, but i can definatly feel the slowed reactions, and if it happens to me, i dont feel i could be alone in that. whe your going like 120, you dont have a chance for that delay. if you drink and drive, your gone from the ebgining, and if your pulling that risk with your mates, well your most likely one of these selfish no hopers anyway.
As for driver training i feel it should be pushed alot further, although your not going to help everyone, some people are morons, it will still help alot of the community, and should atleast be given a good go to see (always taking into account there will be idiots regardless)