Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driver side glass replacement

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Hi all,

Does anyone have info or instructions on how to replace the glass on a passenger window? Specifically the front driver glass?

Tried looking around to see if there was any info to do this but didn’t seem to come across much. Hopefully it’s not a hard job....

Unsure how today (possibly the heat) but the glass on our 2013 SV6 was shattered. Didn’t appear to be vandalism but who knows. Thankfully the window was tinted so glass didn’t go everywhere but had to knock the glass out to drive it home safely.

Any info appreciated.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Pretty simple to do. Lower the window down, then start to remove the door trim, pull the plastic weather seal off to access the door internals. Undo the 2 10mm bolts for the glass and remove from the door. Insert new glass through the top and do the reverse to put it back together

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Thanks mate, appreciate it. Sounds easier than it appeared to be.

Just got back inside from pulling the door trim off to start cleaning the glass out. Didn’t put the window down yet tho :oops: should be easy enough just to plug the window controller back on and do that.

Now to find a wrecker.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Maybe Holden started using cheap Chinese glass (joke) :p Cheap Chinese glass, when used in the building industry, in some high rise buildings balconies and windows, were prone to exploded in the heat :eek:

It's more likely vandalism issue (or possibly overly absorbing tinting overheating the glass which is much less likely or it would be a known issue in the tint industry).

As for how to do things, a PDF of the VF workshop manual is available from this link. It’s a bit of a pain to learn how it’s structured and to navigate it it worth the effort. Use a pc and the docs pdf index (on the left side of Adobe reader) to jump around the doc (as the internal links don’t work).

The forum is also a good place to find info ;)

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
When I was young and lived back home is the rotten north west NSW heat the windscreens would usually pop around the seals and supply relief for the super heated interior.

You'd only know when you pushed on the inside of the windscreen when cleaning it, it would feel a bit loose.

I've not had one any glass shatter as the windscreen seal was the weakest link.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Maybe Holden started using cheap Chinese glass which when used in the building industry, in some high rise buildings, glass balconies and windows exploded in the heat

The exploding glass is a result of poor tolerances during tempering, which is common in China where there is poor quality control with an emphasis on mass production at all and any cost. Happens also with cladding that fails fire safety standards here in Australia and overseas.

I don't think the windows in the VF are of Chinese-made glass. I think it's Pilkington ACI; can't read the text as I have tinted windows (film).

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why hasn't the OP raised this broken window with his/her insurer?
I would be concerned that a DIY window replacement would affect insurance cover.
In central Australia earlier this year my car was in the scorching heat a couple of times, but no such malaise with windows popping, cracking or crazing. You'd need to examine the window carefully for signs of vandalism. I don't really buy the idea that heat causes windows (other than windscreen, post-stone strike) to fracture.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The exploding glass is a result of poor tolerances during tempering, which is common in China where there is poor quality control with an emphasis on mass production at all and any cost. Happens also with cladding that fails fire safety standards here in Australia and overseas.

I don't think the windows in the VF are of Chinese-made glass. I think it's Pilkington ACI; can't read the text as I have tinted windows (film).
I should have been clearer since I was joking as I know Holden glass is aussie made :p
I'll clarify my post accordingly :oops:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I should have been clearer as I was joking as I know Holden glass is aussie made :p
I'll clarify my post accordingly :oops:

LOL! No harm done.
Somebody here said that there is a lot of Chinee-made components in the VF. The indicator/washer stalks (?). What else?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why hasn't the OP raised this broken window with his/her insurer?
I would be concerned that a DIY window replacement would affect insurance cover.
In central Australia earlier this year my car was in the scorching heat a couple of times, but no such malaise with windows popping, cracking or crazing. You'd need to examine the window carefully for signs of vandalism. I don't really buy the idea that heat causes windows (other than windscreen, post-stone strike) to fracture.
Maybe his insurance excess is more than the cost of him repairing it himself?
Owner organised and payed repairs are not an issue for insurance as it's not mandatory to lodge a claim.

But it may be required (according to your policy) to notify the insurance of any incident which highlights increased risk though the going thought is what they can't find out wont hurt me o_O