Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driver side glass replacement

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
LOL! No harm done.
Somebody here said that there is a lot of Chinee-made components in the VF. The indicator/washer stalks (?). What else?
The cruise control switch on the steering wheel def is. Replaced mine and the box had on it made in China from memory.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The cruise control switch on the steering wheel def is. Replaced mine and the box had on it made in China from memory.

Oh dear. I do hope that the cruise control disables when I want it to! The very last thing I want is to be hurtling past the fish and chippery at 100km/h (50km/h zone) yelling, "can't stop, my stick is stuck, help!"

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Why hasn't the OP raised this broken window with his/her insurer?
Maybe his insurance excess is more than the cost of him repairing it himself?

Exactly this. I don't have glass / windscreen cover on the car and never have and I choose to have a higher excess instead of paying a higher premium so it was going to more expensive than what it was worth. Third party glass repairers were quoting me in the vacinity of $500-700 for a replacement and it wasnt genuine GM so who knows where and what it was made from I wasn't going to take that risk. Especially with cheap and nasty laminated glass posing a random shatter risk I wasn't going to take that option.

I tried a few wreckers but most were slightly scratched and you dont know the integrity of the glass after an accident so in the end it was easier to buy a brand new GM glass window from Holden and do it myself. Out of curiosity I did ask Holden about doing the job for me and was quoted 4 hours workshop labour time for literally pulling the door tims off and replacing the glass.... took me about 2 hours and majority of that time was trying to vacuum and clean all the loose glass out of the door and the window tracks. Something I'm sure they wouldn't have spent more time doing than they wanted to.... who wants rattles in the door when opening and closing all the time? Not me...

In the 7 years of owning this car this is the first instance of a broken window (knock on wood) so the savings of $70-80 a year on glass cover has paid for itself for now.... still not entirely sure how this happend though to be honest. Something hit it I'm sure but either way it's happened and can't reverse that.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Maybe Holden started using cheap Chinese glass (joke) :p Cheap Chinese glass, when used in the building industry, in some high rise buildings balconies and windows, were prone to exploded in the heat :eek:

AFAIR Door glass moved from St Gobain (Thailand) to Fuyao (China) at some point during the life of VE/VF - I forget the timing.

No VE/VF glass was made in Australia :(

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
AFAIR Door glass moved from St Gobain (Thailand) to Fuyao (China) at some point during the life of VE/VF - I forget the timing.

Falling Elmo.gif

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Interesting... and yet also rather sad :(

Strange how I thought i saw a "Made in Australia" marking on the front windscreens, so I checked and there is no such statement.
All other side glass, including rear windscreen, is clearly marked FUYAO :oops:
Another made in China import on what seems our aussie assembled commodore :eek:

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Interesting... and yet also rather sad :(

Strange whow I thought i saw a "Made in Australia" marking on the front windscreens, so I checked and there is no such statement.
All other side glass, including rear windscreen, is clearly marked FUYAO :oops:
Another made in China import on what seems our aussie assembled commodore :eek:

You would be surprised how much came from China for the VF. Even the front subframe .

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think it is unwise to forego windscreen and/or glass cover.
All credit to the OP for the DIY approach and thoroughness, but most of us don't have that time nor inclination to go down that route.

I have window and windscreen glass breakage cover included in the premium ($74.02 a month), with I think $740 excess. I had this also with the VZ (2010-2019).

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
You would be surprised how much came from China for the VF. Even the front subframe .

An Australian icon, with parts from China, cobbled together in Australia. Uncomfortable home truths...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not surprised after I couldn’t find a left handed cap screw at any local bolt place, quite some years ago... They tossed all that stuff some years earlier...

Seems everything is imported and nothing is repaired... The tools you buy at Bunnings have replacement warranties cause no one wants to stock parts or repair things any more... Such is too common.... Yet we’ll save the environment by not giving away plastic bags unless you pay $0.15 each for the privilege :eek:

As to glass, I always thought Plikington ACI used to make the stuff for all Aussie built cars, so maybe that’s why I imagined “Made in Australia” marking on my commodore windscreen and my conformation/visual bias was what surprised me :rolleyes:

Historically that Pilkington glass seemed much better in that it had “antisun” so you didn’t seem to get so hot when driving as compared to many modern cheap glassed cars these days. The current glass in my VF seems to magnify the UV coming into the cabin, or atleast that’s what my cognitive biased skin feels when the eyes don’t see a made in Australia marking :p