Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

drivers door opens by itself

shaun browne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th anniversary
Hi everyone,
I have a problem that has just started a few weeks ago.
While driving my drivers front door opens by itself and its getting annoying. Will be driving and i will hear a click ( like when you normally open the door ) and the door opens. its worst when turning left as the door fly's open. when travelling on the highway i hear it click and its then its open, close it then a few minutes later it does it again then again a while later..it does not do it every time i drive as sometimes i don't drive far, but the further and longer i drive the more it does it.

Can anyone suggest or know what the problem might be.

Regards Shaun

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Open door Have a good look at the mechanism on inside of door that latches to the frame and fiddle with it see what you can see spray it withome wd40 and work it in might be getting caught on some dred out grease

shaun browne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th anniversary
Open door Have a good look at the mechanism on inside of door that latches to the frame and fiddle with it see what you can see spray it withome wd40 and work it in might be getting caught on some dred out grease

hi mate. i did that 6 months ago as it was gunked up with dry hard grease and it was making it hard to even unlock even with the key. cleanined it real good and it freed up like new..
But i will do what you suggest and open it back up and have another look inside.
The thing is it even with the doors locked while driving it still makes the pop sound like when you normally open and then the door opens by itself.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Replace the actuator assembly.
Give Alan Mance Holden a call. They do great prices online and over the phone. Send anywhere in Australia. The have an eBay too.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Also, don't use WD-40 on anything to do with locks. Ask any lock smith and you'll see their eye twitch. Use a silicone spray instead.
WD-40 will attract and collect dirt, dust and grit to the surface and cause further problems in the long term.

shaun browne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th anniversary
Replace the actuator assembly.
Give Alan Mance Holden a call. They do great prices online and over the phone. Send anywhere in Australia. The have an eBay too.
thanks fu manchu .. After playing around with it this arvo i figured out that is the problem. when you push the door closed slowly it is supposed to latch in 2 stages, mine is only latching once. Be getting one tomorrow..