Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drivers Window Help (vs ute)

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Hey,

Can someone tell me where i should start looking - my windows are manual winders.

My drivers window on my ute rolls up and down, but seems to be very loose (if it is wound half way up or down i am able to wiggle it up/down & side/side a fair bit.
But when i wind it up it does not line up with the window slits in the door at the rear - as in the rear of the window goes up higher than the front and sits about 10-15mm forward out of the slides on the back of the door up the top (if that makes sense).

There are occasions where i wind it up and its no where near the tracks and sits about 10-20mm out of the rear slider.

Had a look when i replaced my speakers but don't have much idea on it.

+ The white clips that sit in the regulator that slide along the tracks of the window clip are all in tact (but are a little sloppy).
+ The regulator is still bolted to the door in all the correct spots & cant see that its bent
+ The window stays in its sliders inside the door when wound up and down

The only thing i can see is where the window slides along the rear slider, about half way up the slider seems to be split in two (the window still slides through the track). The bolt down the bottom of the door is tight as well (but does seem to have a few washers because there is a crack where the bolt hole is).

Hopefully that makes sense, any help would be great getting pretty pissed driving around cold mornings with the window not sealing, not to mention the bloody rain.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
There should be a flock lined rubber in the rails that the window slides up and down, front and rear. That does tend to go missing, particularly the front one which climbs out of the rail as the window is wound up. If one or both of those is missing or not sitting properly in the rail, the window will rattle around. They are called Bailey channel rubbers. They should be a freebie from a wrecker (or sometimes left sitting in the bottom of the door). If you replace them, apply a small spot of "SupaGlue" to the bottom of the rubber, between the rail and rubber. That will stop the rubber from moving.

There might be some adjustment in the bolts that secure the regulator so you might try loosening them and pushing the window back into the rear rail.

The nylon sliders can be replaced. That will also reduce the rattling and keep the window aligned. They should have lube applied - like white grease, so the plastic isn't affected - to reduce wear.

The regulators do bend - twist - particularly if the window is out of alignment due to other factors which can be subtle so maybe have another careful look.

The outer belt mould, at the top of the door shell/base of the window also tends to lose the rubber, often inside the door but if it's gone missing they're also freebies from the wrecker (do ask though). That also serves to secure the window (and stop dirt dropping into the door). The rubber can be re-glued to the mould using 5-minute epoxy adhesive. I use loops of masking tape, sticky side out, to hold the rubber in place while the glue sets. You will have to tweak the rubber into place as the glue starts to gel to be sure it's in the correct position.

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Thanks mate the rubbers had slid down the channel on the rear end and the white clip slider things were rooted. I replaced two but think if I replaced the one inside the door where it's riveted it would be like the other side, but for now it seals. Thanks for your help.