Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driveshaft (axle) knock??

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it the inner or outer CV that is damaged?

I always tie up the axle shafts when pulling out the diff where some people just let em hang which may not be good for the CV's.

Not sure yet, looks like outer. I just had them resting on the subframe. Just glad I found something. Was doing my head in.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Found set of shafts from VF2 redline with 28,000kms that was scrapped due to water damage. They go in tomorrow....
what sort of water damage? Saltwater damaged vehicles are classified as statutory write offs and I believe the vehicle can’t be parted out :eek: Same for fresh water damaged vehicles that have been submersed for more than an hour? or some other defined period :rolleyes:

The reason I make the comment is that the drive shafts have been scrapped for a reason and slapping on someone else’s problems may just lead to more problems for you down the road. but

But if you do use them, they should be fully dismantled, components neutralised (if dunked in salt water) cleaned and checked before being reassembled with new grease and boots.

Out of curiosity, what movement is there at the CV joints and how does it compare to joint movement and runout for the drive shaft on other side of the car?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Parting out stat write offs is legal, go to any wreckers and they're full of them.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
what sort of water damage? Saltwater damaged vehicles are classified as statutory write offs and I believe the vehicle can’t be parted out :eek: Same for fresh water damaged vehicles that have been submersed for more than an hour? or some other defined period :rolleyes:

The reason I make the comment is that the drive shafts have been scrapped for a reason and slapping on someone else’s problems may just lead to more problems for you down the road. but

But if you do use them, they should be fully dismantled, components neutralised (if dunked in salt water) cleaned and checked before being reassembled with new grease and boots.

Out of curiosity, what movement is there at the CV joints and how does it compare to joint movement and runout for the drive shaft on other side of the car?

The whole car was parted not just shafts. Shafts are fine, they look basically new besides some dust.

The other side runs completely true and straight.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Parting out stat write offs is legal, go to any wreckers and they're full of them.
Yes, I know parts from statutory write offs are legally sold at wrecking yards. But statutory write off codes are rather detailed and actually identify the exact damage type that exists. Incident Code W=water damaged, Damage Location Code 14= whole of vehicle, Damage Severity Code L= salt water immersed & code M=fresh water immersed. So from these codes the reason the vehicle is a stat write off is also explicitly identifiable...

It’s vehicles with such codes that I understood couldn’t be parted out. At least that was the case some 15 years ago. I haven’t found any current references about this in my quick google search other than for Victoria which states some parts can’t be sold :confused: seems the rules have been relaxed a little :cool:

Within this web page, click on the the “water damaged vehicle” + symbol to expand that section to read what parts can’t be resold (at least in Vic).

The whole car was parted not just shafts. Shafts are fine, they look basically new besides some dust...
No mention of mechanical parts in above so they can be sold. But, still, water can get in and while the part can look good once cleaned, it may quickly fail. If salt or fresh water gets behind and within the boot of a CV joint (guess it depends on period on water immersion) will likely cause failure unless the joint is cleaned and regreased. And there is no way to know without dismantling the things unless one has Xray vision. It’s a risk, maybe a rather small risk but a risk nevertheless.

Hope you it all goes well and you solve your issues :cool:

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, I know parts from statutory write offs are legally sold at wrecking yards. But statutory write off codes are rather detailed and actually identify the exact damage type that exists. Incident Code W=water damaged, Damage Location Code 14= whole of vehicle, Damage Severity Code L= salt water immersed & code M=fresh water immersed. So from these codes the reason the vehicle is a stat write off is also explicitly identifiable...

It’s vehicles with such codes that I understood couldn’t be parted out. At least that was the case some 15 years ago. I haven’t found any current references about this in my quick google search other than for Victoria which states some parts can’t be sold :confused: seems the rules have been relaxed a little :cool:

Within this web page, click on the the “water damaged vehicle” + symbol to expand that section to read what parts can’t be resold (at least in Vic).

No mention of mechanical parts in above so they can be sold. But, still, water can get in and while the part can look good once cleaned, it may quickly fail. If salt or fresh water gets behind and within the boot of a CV joint (guess it depends on period on water immersion) will likely cause failure unless the joint is cleaned and regreased. And there is no way to know without dismantling the things unless one has Xray vision. It’s a risk, maybe a rather small risk but a risk nevertheless.

Hope you it all goes well and you solve your issues :cool:

Yea I understand what you’re saying. But anyway, problem solved and I’m stoked!!