Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving a VE

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I spun around in a new VE Calais V6 when they first came out, Took it across the state for 4 days..
Would i keep my VT over that, **** no never!.

In my opinion, Everything was better from the wheel nuts to the drive.
This one had road noise, But that was more on highways doing 120.. My VT has worse road noise to be honest.

Also i believe the standard of drive between the base models and the upper models are huge. But all have amazing handling grip steering ability over any Commodore before them.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
The handles obstruct my view no matter what I try. I believe the handles should be recessed as most cars with these type handles are.

Mate if the handles are in your mirrors AT ALL, then your mirrors are COMPLETELY wrong!!! They are NOT meant for seeing behind the car. End of story.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm starting to feel sorry for the VE. There are probably ten threads dealing with complaints for every thread dealing out compliments about the car.

The VE represented a huge investment for the General and was the first totally Australian designed Commodore. Every previous model had been based on Opels and some of the development work had already been done before LHolden's engineers and designers got their hands on them.

The VE is a more complex car than previous models and complexity leads to potential problems. The VE has undergone continual improvement since its release and this will continue until very late in the car's life. Its quality control is probably no worse than any other Australian built car and you have to remember that cars are comprised of components manufactured by multiple suppliers. It could well be that faults that are reported relate to problems with supplier quality control (eg, rear seat belts early in the VE's life). Another problem can be the need to keep manufacturing costs down, which leads to specifications for various components which are really skimpy and lead to inherent faults (eg, VZ fuel guage)

Holdens are legendary for their toughness and durability. The sort of problems being reported are not generally likely to undermine that reputation, they are more a nuisance and cause new owners distress because, after spending at least 35k for an Omega, people expect better. Sometimes, expectations are unrealistic. It would be wonderful if cars could be built fault-free, but even the best manufacturers build the occasional dud.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
great post VYII Berlina...

You hit the nail on the head.

The underlying problem is the amount of money people spend (and subsequently lose) on cars is second only to that of a house/home for most people. Hence a lot of the time the expectations are for perfection.

It is unfortunate there are problems but it's a fact unfortunately. If manufacturers were forced to be held accountable for seriously faulty cars and they had to be FULLY REPLACED with a new one, quality would be a lot better. But costs would rise too.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
if you go over to the ford forums, there is a dedicated thread to ba, bf, fg etc falcon problems, if you think there is big problems check out those guys,

ill have to hand it to the ford boys though, they acknowledge the problems list them have them fixed and thats it, most people on here keep on rabbiting on about problems (this is not at you tigerpm) but a general and it really dosnt make the forum look good.

in saying that though, the run around from dealers really provoke this happening

just so you can see, have a read here

Australian Ford Forums - Your BF - What problems have you had ?

mods if this is against the rules please remove the link.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I bought a Nokia N95 8gig i.. First 2 days it almost died on me:eek:..

Anyway even Toyota has quality issues, But more now then ever before, They are just lucky there cars are tested and designed overseas, So when they come here most of the issues early are already fixed, Except for the falling dash.

But it seems quality with suppliers today is lower with the pressures of cost vs quality and cost wins out.

I giggle at Ford fellows saying the VE is plastic all over, But if you jump into a FG, You will see much of the same plastic holden uses, The center console is full of it in a G6.
But thats weight saving, Might cost ot much for them all to stick some cloth over the top or they cant be bothered?.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
FFS!

*edit* no comment due to fear of banning from forum!!

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I took 2 VE's for a test drive yesterday one after the other, one being a SSV 40k and the other Calais 23k on the clock, both cars were fantastic to drive in my mind over the VY.

Yes, there were a couple of niggly things which didn't appeal to me straight off the bat such as the A pillar for viewing out the front right hand side of the vehicle but nothing a bit working out the neck muscles didn't fix, the other checking the blind spot I found the B pillar was right in my line of sight again this probably more or less came down to seat placement and not a fault of the vehicle. I feel both of these will easily be overcome.

FYI, all the plastics and panels lined on both cars.

Earlier it was mentioned looking in the mirrors you could see the door handles but found that didn't bother me one little bit given you could clearly see everything else in your surroundings.

The only real downside was the transmission, both had the 6 speed semi auto box in them, in all honesty I was expecting it to be much smoother between changes especially 1st > 2nd. Perhaps the adaptive driving habits coming into play but I noticed this on both?

All in all I was impressed with the improvements made, they even corrected an all time pet hate of mine dating back to the VN where using the windscreen wipers meant taking a bath at the same time, something as simple putting a channel in for the water to run fixed an ongoing problem for some 20 years on the assumption the VZ does this as well?

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
How is the b-pillar in your line of site when checking the blind spot? Use your exterior mirrors - it's what they're for!