Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving along engine cuts out then back on agian.vs ute.

ashs vs ute

ashs ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
HI GUYS .NEED SOME HELP HERE .DRIVING HOME FROM WORK TODAY CRUISING ALONG AT 90 Ks AND LOST POWER FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS THEN FIRED UP AGIAN .
HAVE PUT A NEW CRANK ANGLE SENSOR ON IT .NEW PETROL PUMP .NO DASH LIGHTS CAME ON WHEN DIED .REALLY STRANGE .DONT NO WHAT ELSE TO DO.BEEN TOLD IT COULD BE DFI MODULE
BUT THAT MAKES THE CAR RUN ROUGH.WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE .THIS IS THE THIRD TIME IT HAS DOES THIS IN THREE WEEKS.ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.CHRS ASH

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
How are the battery terminals?....have you done any work on the car recently which could have started this....fuel filter?.....double check fuel pump connections...also fuel pump relay.
Auto or manual?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The wiring loom connection to the DFI module is a notorious trouble spot. Those pins must be really clean and tight.
Go over them with a pointer and carefully adjust each of the connections to be sure.

ashs vs ute

ashs ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
How are the battery terminals?....have you done any work on the car recently which could have started this....fuel filter?.....double check fuel pump connections...also fuel pump relay.
Auto or manual?

hi buddy.its an auto .replace fuel filter the same time as the fuel pump .battery is brand new terminals are all good ....i will put a new fuel pump relay in and see how that goes .
if it was the dfi module woundnt the car run rough ? thanks for your help .ash

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I like the DFI module connector as posted by Savvyute - they can get water/degreaser into them and corrode internally. Maybe idle the car and start moving wobbling ALL connectors to see if you can duplicate the fault. Have you run the codes? they can sometimes pinpoint the problem: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307
How about the connector at the rear of the alternator.

ED Falcon

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Exec
sounds like a dfi module to me. just because the dfi module is shot doesnt mean the car will run rough. mine was screwed and the car ran fine, the engine just cut out on heavier acceleration/accelerating around corners. i think the car must run on basic timing (without crank/cam sensors) or something when the dfi module is shot.
Also, if you manage to check your error codes, if you get the codes for both Cam sensor and Crank angle sensor then its most probably your dfi.

ashs vs ute

ashs ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Thanks guys .i had racv out .and they said it is the fuel pump .bought a new one .fitted it in the car ran for a couple of days then stopped agian .bashed the tank and going agian got home .now it wont start agian .

Dainus

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS-II
Fuel would probably be a cough-splutter sort of issue before it came back to life. Seeing as it is a clear stop-go sort of problem it sounds electrical. Checked alternator connections?