Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving ... in the other side of the world ;)

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I just found someones blog, I guess he is an American, living in Saudi Arabia for 11 years.

he talked a bit about driving, thought it was worth a share.

Expatriates driving in Saudi Arabia require special skills. Even if you are an experienced driver having an international driving license, you need to be street-alert while driving in the kingdom. If you are new to the kingdom, the first lesson is to unlearn whatever you have learnt elsewhere! For instance, theory states that whoever reaches a roundabout first has the first priority. In practice, the priority increases proportional to the size of your vehicle - i.e., Might is Right! Looks like the authorities are also fighting a losing battle, which is why you can find traffic lights even in roundabouts, particularly in places like Dammam. Amazing, isn't it?

Now for some practical tips on driving in Saudi Arabia :) Theory says that you don't move your car until the traffic lights turn green. In practice, you slowly inch towards the middle of the intersection even if the lights are red, virtually blocking half the traffic, and zip across as soon as the lights turn yellow for the traffic coming on some other road! Don't bother about the traffic behind you, what matters is that you have to be the first and ahead of all other cars! God help you, if you are racing ahead and the traffic lights suddenly turn yellow! Theory says that you overtake someone always from the left. In practice, you drive at 160 km/hour in the emergency lane, then race to the extreme left and again zigzag to the extreme right without any indication to the guy behind you. Who cares about road safety, you have a GMC and hence are the king of the road!

everything he said is 100% true :whistling

I talked about it once, and someone told me I'm s****ing him ... well here you go :p

this is his blog : Working in Saudi Arabia: Driving in Saudi Arabia

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
LOL!!!!! sounds like driving on the M1 in Qld!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
i love the m1

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i love the m1

the M1 is great!! it's some of the people that use it that is the problem :bang:

They need more motorways that wide down here..... they would just need to educate people on lane changes hehe

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I just found someones blog, I guess he is an American, living in Saudi Arabia for 11 years.

he talked a bit about driving, thought it was worth a share.

everything he said is 100% true :whistling

I talked about it once, and someone told me I'm s****ing him ... well here you go :p

this is his blog : Working in Saudi Arabia: Driving in Saudi Arabia

What's the average lifespan in your country?