Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving in the wet

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
i just keep a bit of extra distance and take it a bit slower when im around others, other then that i drive as normal.

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
I drive slow at night in the middle of no where with no traffic to avoid hitting any kangaroo's or anything else like that. I drive from Brisbane to Adelaide yearly in speaking of that im driving back from Adelaide on Thursday.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I keep more distance between myself and the person in front... Partly cause my brakes LOVE to lock up in the wet.. damn VN brakes..

Living in the Adelaide Hills the drive home is a bit twisty and I do back off a bit heading home because of this, but i still do like 15km/h+ higher than the reccomendations on the signs on the road.

On a straight road it shouldnt make a difference, I'd just increase the safe distance between cars in front...

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I always give plenty of room to the car infront when wet weather driving for progressive braking area...and I hate those tailgating pricks that cut in and steal my space...but I hate driving in the rain fullstop cause of the road grime that gets left down the sides of the car.
I'm cautious with acceleration...I've gained plenty of experience wet weather riding on a motorcycle to know about tyre adhesion...I highsided it in the rain once doing about 30km around a normal corner block corner a busted up the bikes fairing...:ranting: It's ALL to easy to loose control !!!

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
i drive exactley the speed limit (normally bout +10 over it) and give twice the normal distance between cars. also after a few learning experiences (loosing it round round abouts...i did a 180 cuase i took it at dry weather speeds and had to reverse of the round about) i allways take corners extra slow. id rather get home in one peice a bit slower than end up in a hospital or make friends with a pole.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
For me it depends how hard it's raining and if it's been dry for a long time beforehand. I hate the way roads get really greasy when it rains after a long dry period.

The other day I had to slow down to about 60kph in an 80 zone because it was raining REALLY hard for a minute and my wipers couldn't clear the windscreen fast enough.

In light rain I don't generally slow down too much unless it's very slippery.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
it's about time someone mentioned windscreen wipers, i always use them in the wet...haha...yeah i dont try to hark it up or brake hard in the wet, you know just keep it sensible.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Windscreen wipers........pfft.Who needs them? Seriously though,the most frightening drive of my life was with a guy in the UK who didn't use his wipers until you couldnt see through the screen!! How we finished the journey ok i'll never know.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I drive slower in the rain, just whatever feels safe, depends on how wet it is and how bumpy the road is. Aquaplaining into the wrong lane over deep waterfilled ruts made by trucks at 100km/h isn't on my top 10 most fun thing to do list. Sometimes when the rain is so heavy that you can't see more than 10 meters in front of you on the highway, well those are the times you go about 50 on the highway and it still feels too fast :p I've done it and seen everone else going that speed too but it was EXTREME rain

PS RainX is your friend!:) makes driving at night in the rain on the highway wiperless and 10000 times safer, you can't even tell it's raining

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
It usually doesn't bother me.... Wet is like dry but i usually just allow more braking distance. As for corners and round abouts, mah.... take them slower, but accelerate out of them!!!! ahahaha.... Driving is situation dependant, there is never a need to go 20k's under.... and you CAN get fine'd for it! (unless its peak hour or some ****)

aZk.