Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving in the wet

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Wacky said:
Well, as someone else hinted at, just remember that if it has been dry, usually the most dangerous time on the road is just after it's started raining or sprinkling as it gets really slippery with the grease and oil on the road.

After a heavy rain, or rain with alot of traffic, this oil/grease can be dispersed nicely, but you should always take extra precautions just after it's started raining.

You also get brake dust turning into little balls adding to the slippery surface.

I normally just take a bit more caution when cornering but I'll still stay at the speed limit.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
1991_Vn2nV said:
But 20km/h under the speed limit on a mostly straight highway with maybe slight bends? Thats ridiculous. If the road was in really poor condition or there were sharp bends or a constantly twisty road that would be a different story.

Some people have different confidence in the wet. If i come across a slower car, i sit with my nice space behind it where i can see safely and just plod along, for few minutes you may have to sit behind them it isn't going to hurt.

It is when peopel sit up these peoples asses that accidents will happen, as the driver who may have not had alot of experience in the rain gets frustrated and could make a mistake.

I think people need to realise that the roads arent their for their personal benefit.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Coming home on the freeway this morning, it was raining quite heavily. I don't mind people taking it easy, but when three lanes are crawling along at 90, and someone pulls into the outside lane to do the same speed, it gets my nerves going.

</rant>

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Morton said:
Coming home on the freeway this morning, it was raining quite heavily. I don't mind people taking it easy, but when three lanes are crawling along at 90, and someone pulls into the outside lane to do the same speed, it gets my nerves going.

</rant>

Why? People are travelling at what they consider a safe speed. I think it is great how people are realising that slowing down to a safe speed wont affect your total trip time all that much. Besides, it also stops the government making $$$$

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
It's pretty simple, if you aren't overtaking and doing over 80, stay in the left lane.

If you hit someone up the rear who is going slower than you guess who is at fault? You........

It's up to you to pay attention on the road not the driver in front of you to get out of the way if they are in the right place and doing the right thing.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
minux said:
Why? People are travelling at what they consider a safe speed. I think it is great how people are realising that slowing down to a safe speed wont affect your total trip time all that much. Besides, it also stops the government making $$$$

Obviously you havent heard "Keep left unless overtaking"...

G

Glauron

the way i drive in the wet depends on so many factors, city/ country, the actual road in question the amount of rain, how long its been raining for load time of day and try to adjust the best i can. i will usually be a bit more passive if my tyres are gettin thin and in the city im real cautious because of oil films on the roads etc.

Yep I agree its all based on the conditions at the time.

I was heading home from Newcastle last weekend and had a bit of rain along the way. Enough to make it nice & wet even though it stopped rainging after a little while.

It was also around 6-7pm during the wet stages (normally dusk with roo's) so I kept my speed under check. On a good stretch of quality straight road, I'd do up to 100 (limit), on rougher roads, narrower or windy parts I'd drop back to 90, even 80 for a short time.

I don't see anything wrong with knocking it back a notch, it is a lot safer. Though I certainly agree going to slow in relatively good conditions is no good either. It can frustrate other drivers & cause them to make rash decisions which would be worse than going a little faster in most instances. But I don't think putting pressure on people to stick to push their own level of confident driving is a good idea. ;)

There are times for sticking to the limit (or a bit over if ur so inclined..*cough*) and definitely times for being a little more conservative.

And ya - tailgaters ftl

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
1991_Vn2nV said:
Obviously you havent heard "Keep left unless overtaking"...

Thankyou, vn2nv. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that :bang:

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I have learnt to slow down, but only by nearly crashing the beast in the wet. Came out of a roundabout, gave it a foot full and slid down the road sideways for about 100 meters. Luckily I never hit any other cars, or ruined mine.

In the rain now, I take it easy through every roundabout and corner. I even shed 10km/h if the road isnt worthy of it, or if the rain is heavy.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
Troy711 said:
ok, so i was driving to work this morning in the 'rain'. i would hardly call ti rain though, more like a slight sprinkle...

i was stcuk behind 3 different people who all insisted on doing 20 kays under the 100 kay speed limit. needless to say, this pissed me off. sure, i an all for 'driving to the conditions' but how the hell is 20 under when the road is only slightly damp be considered this? it was a highway, hardly any major turns and the road is bloody awesome.

anyway, it got me thinkin... how does everyone else drive in the wet?

if you had 15" bob jane tires on in the wet, you wouldnt dare do the speed limit, in a 50zone i'll do 45max, in a 100 zone i'll do 90.

in the dry i know my limits but in the wet i havent learnt my car so i drive like a granny.