Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving in the wet

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
ok, so i was driving to work this morning in the 'rain'. i would hardly call ti rain though, more like a slight sprinkle...

i was stcuk behind 3 different people who all insisted on doing 20 kays under the 100 kay speed limit. needless to say, this pissed me off. sure, i an all for 'driving to the conditions' but how the hell is 20 under when the road is only slightly damp be considered this? it was a highway, hardly any major turns and the road is bloody awesome.

anyway, it got me thinkin... how does everyone else drive in the wet?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
same as i do in the dry, cautious :)

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
im sorta the same. im of the opinion that i know how my car handles and i am confident* in my ability to drive it. i wont bullshit, i usually do 110 in a 100 zone (so shoot me) and when it comes to the wet if i feel comfortable i will do the same. if it is raining fairly hard ill back off.

i think i have only had 1 occasion where i was actually **** scared of driving in the rain. that was when i was in my ole VL. i was driving between cowra and the hume highway just as it was getting dark (only the second time i have driven that road). it was pouring that hard that the car infront of me was doing 60 and i was game enough to pass because the only thing that stopped me from pulling over was the fact that i was using the other cars tail lights as my guide.

* = not to be read as over confident

cikas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I just tone it down a bit..

Ive have an accident in the rain from aquaplaining so im a bit more cautious. Dont hit the corners to fast and take off hard like in the dry.. But do got ridiculously slow..
I also give bigger vehicles ie trucks etc a bit more room on the road cause i know they need it especialy in the rain.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
the way i drive in the wet depends on so many factors, city/ country, the actual road in question the amount of rain, how long its been raining for load time of day and try to adjust the best i can. i will usually be a bit more passive if my tyres are gettin thin and in the city im real cautious because of oil films on the roads etc.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
i agree, to the conditions should be pracitcal not just stupid, even in the dry on clear days on my way to work on a few of the 100k roads ppl some times do as little as 60 and 70, there is a point where i think u should be able to get a fine for going to slow.

if you are incompatent then get off the road, the only ppl who should be able to drive slow are learners

peninsulabands

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SS 6.0 TUR(i)SMO
people who drive 4WD's are the worst.
i mean, their cars are meant for heavy driving and are built to handle worse conditions than our cars are, and yet they drive slower than us.
4WD owners are pretty stupid if they dont actually go 4WD on a regular basis.
gay.
on another note, i would love a hummer?

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
well i'm only a learner, but i still drive. in the rain i don't do 20 k's under the limit that's for sure. in the rain i take a bit extra care when taking off (i don't become a snail, i just take a bit extra care). it's not worth accelerating hard in the rain, when there is a higher risk of losing it. also i've heard too many stories of people losing it and wrapping around poles, one person that i knew (not as a friend, but i knew who he was) died on the road a while back and he was only about 19, and these stories definetly make me think about what i do on the road. overall, i take a bit extra care because there's no rush whenever i drive, and it's worth taking the extra care. taking off slightly slower isn't going to kill anyone. also, i'm a learner, and i should be taking super extra care (not implying that people with 20 years of driving experience shouldn't take the extra care, but learner's like should be extra careful, and learn to drive in the rain while we are on our L's)
:)

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I do tend to back off a bit in the wet, if only for those in front of me who decide to drop the anchors at a moments notice. Driving a ute isn't too much different, have only really noticed when taking off at lights on shiny smooth bitumen in the wet it tends to just sit there and spin if you aren't too careful...... I do feel more confident with the wider tyres and decent tread pattern compared to the old RE92's on the VS when aquaplaning.

Jimboss

Reaction score
The only reason i back off in the wet is when i am forced to by other drivers going really slow, or if i am genuinely concerned that if i go the limit i could have a serious accident, conditions have only ever been that bad once or twice though.