Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving without mid and rear muffler

cypher967

HSV VT 5.0 195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
Is it safe to drive without a mid and rear muffler running only on the cat converters?? and is it legal? Cheers

Ben

cypher967

HSV VT 5.0 195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
Is it safe for the engine or will it cause any damage because my old mufflers are in the S***, and i have to wait until thursday for a new one.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
I dont think it would damage the engine, but it could damage the cat and you would probably get into some serious **** if the cops caught you.

cypher967

HSV VT 5.0 195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
I just took it for a drive and it sounded amazing its only a v6 but i thought its was a tank starting lol. also it seems that i lost a bit of power.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
cypher967 said:
I just took it for a drive and it sounded amazing its only a v6 but i thought its was a tank starting lol. also it seems that i lost a bit of power.

Wont damage anyhting except peoples ears. You lost power as there is no back pressure due to no restricitons in the air flow in the exhaust.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Read some books on exhaust scavenging and u may in fact learn some things that will suprise u about exhaust systems. BIGGER is not always better......

cypher967

HSV VT 5.0 195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
dude all i wanted to know was if it was safe as my old one in really in the S***.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Youll only get intoruble cos of the noise. It's not a chemical violation its a noise issue. Do you have a pipe that runs right through? or is it just cut after the cat??? if so... please dont drive! bad!

Youll get defected if they catch you. The power loss is due to N/A cars requireing back pressure, yours has zero... haha.... it wont hurt the engine but i dont reccomend keeping it that way for long!

aZk.

cypher967

HSV VT 5.0 195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S
no pipe cut off right after the cats, gotta wait to thursday to fit the new one, and i need the car to get to work otherwise its a 25km run for me.