Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DRL dimmed with headlights on (How to Guide)

veessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SSV
I wanted it to run at half brightness You could just wire it up from the headlight but it would be bright
if all you wanted to do was run the DRL when the headlights were on could you not of just run a diode from the parklights to the DRL relay pin #85?

ADR states that the DRL's need to dim when headlights are on and that you can't have more then one set of parking lights so if the DRL's dim then you need to take out your parkers as they are now your park lights just like the HSV's

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
ah ok makes sense

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I like it.
veessv, you seem like you are pretty good with electronics. What is involved in getting the LHS mirror to dip on reverse?

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
What do the ADR's (Australian Design Rules) have to say about running DRLs (Daylight Running Lights) during hours of darkness ?

I was under the impression that when the headlights were turned on vehicles with factory DRLs, the DRLs were extinguished.

I do know that it is illegal to drive at night on a road in a Municipality or built up area with more than two lights showing to the front.

For example, you cannot drive in those areas at night with high beam on.

You cannot drive at anytime with headlights and fog lights on at the same time (4 lights). M'mmm seems to me you could have some roadworthiness issues !!

The fact that most euro's and all Gen-F HSV's only dim the DRL's when headlights come on makes it reasonably believable that this will be fine. Also sounds like the laws you are quoting are more specific to Fog lights and Spotties, rather than DRL. I would bet that Euro's driving through SA at night would not get defected for the factory DRL's being on at night.

veessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SSV
Ill have to have a look into it I know some people have done it on the VE as the calais has it but it was connected to the memory seats module so I think they used the whole setup. almost need a timer for when it was switched into reverse the mirror went down for a few secs then when out back up for a few secs hmmm
I like it.
veessv, you seem like you are pretty good with electronics. What is involved in getting the LHS mirror to dip on reverse?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ill have to have a look into it I know some people have done it on the VE as the calais has it but it was connected to the memory seats module so I think they used the whole setup. almost need a timer for when it was switched into reverse the mirror went down for a few secs then when out back up for a few secs hmmm

Any luck with the mirror dipping in reverse?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Veessv,

This is a very cool mod IMO. I've just purchased the DRL dimmer relay harness. I'm handy enough with auto electrics but will be getting someone who knows what they're doing to set this up for me. Any chance of posting up some pics of the install? I want to ensure the wiring is all concealed properly and located in the best place.

Have you had any issues with this since your last post?

Cheers and thanks for your pioneering efforts :spot on:

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
to answer BEN BOYS query earlier regarding running DRL and head lights at once and to clear up any and all confusion

The third edition ADRs only allow white daytime running lights.

(5) Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a headlight, except a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I must be missing something then? How is it that many euro's and our HSV's have DRL's and headlights on together?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Think those rules must be out of date, or have more to them?

Factory Gen-F Clubsport has DRL, which stay on when headlights are activated. Hard to believe a brand new car would be made so it doesn't comply with current ADR's.