Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DRL dimmed with headlights on (How to Guide)

jairhg08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sedan
I've ordered the harness that you have purchased off eBay. So how much is a appropriate price for a electrician charge for this job to be done? How long would it take for one to do it? Cheers

ihavesoldout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I got my auto elec to wire this up for me today but it kept flickering, they tried the relay method as outlined but no joy. It would work properly then start flickering.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue even when using the second relay?

SSVguy

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
MY11 6L VE series II SSV
i know i'm a few months behind the times on this post, but i'm looking at putting DRL in my VE (getting the time to do it all and the money to buy the parts is the issue atm), what my plan is with it, run the + from DRL through a NC relay (which will be wired to switched 12V source), tap that into the parker light circuit which when voltage is applied to the parkers, it will activate the relay, opening the circuit and cutting power from the DRL. i did that setup for a friend with a VE with no issue. has been working for him in excess of 12 months. will write up an instructable with wiring diagram when i have the time to do so :). doing it this way eliminates the need for a dimmer relay and is quite simple to do, the hardest part is finding good areas to run wiring and mount relays. for those interested i've come across a set of DRL with the 3rd wire (white) which hooks into the indicator circuit and flashes orange when activated (at the same time extinguishing that side white DRL for the duration of indicating). anyone interested feel free to pm me

charged calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V Sportwagon
Hey mate, I know im a lot behind the post, just a couple of questions? Just brought a VF Calais V Sportwagon and was wondering if you ended up making a plug in Harness for this application? Also Does this mean the DRL's will only work with the parkers on or do they work as normal then switch to half power when lights come on? Thanks in advance

jon_brevad

Reaction score
I've posted this question before on the SS forums a while back, but was thinking about trying one of these to get the dimmed DRL working at night. Does anyone have an opinion or advice on using something like this?

HOME - Inlustro

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I've posted this question before on the SS forums a while back, but was thinking about trying one of these to get the dimmed DRL working at night. Does anyone have an opinion or advice on using something like this?

HOME - Inlustro

Just so you are aware I know Qld regs don't allow this. Other states are probably similar "Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a
headlight, other than a headlight being used as a flashing
signal, is on."

jon_brevad

Reaction score
Yeah this has been discussed before also... many European and also the HSV have the functionality built in to dim the DRL's by 50% when the headlights are turned on - and thats direct from the factory.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Yeah this has been discussed before also... many European and also the HSV have the functionality built in to dim the DRL's by 50% when the headlights are turned on - and thats direct from the factory.

Also not allowed by ADRs
Electrical connections

The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it possible for the engine to operate.

The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the front fog lamps13/ or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.

Furthermore, the lamps referred to in paragraph 5.11. are not switched on when the daytime running lamps are switched ON.

jon_brevad

Reaction score
Yeah that's great mate. Don't really care... Other cars have the functionality and are perfectly legal otherwise every single VF HSV Commodore you see on the road would be defective vehicle.

So Moving on, back to the original question...