Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DRL dimmed with headlights on (How to Guide)

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I doubt DRL's are illegal, they're too dull.
My 1980 Volvo 242 has DRL's & you can't turn 'em off.

Can't speak for other states but in Qld all aftermarket DRLs must be off when headlights are on.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No, you're dead right, this is from a Northern Territory document but it references the Australian Road Rules:
Australian Road Rules said:
(5) Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a headlight, except a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on

I guess Volvo wired the DRL's so they used the parker globes; so they weren't treated differently to parkers.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
HSV's though have DRL's operating do they not with headlights? Just they are dimmed.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
HSV's though have DRL's operating do they not with headlights? Just they are dimmed.

They do and they have been complianced as both a DRL and parker/ sidelight. Very few if any aftermarket dimming kits etc have the appropriate compliance. Qld authorities at least are interpreting the regs so that anything non OEM DRLs/ associated kits must be off when headlights are on.

alexandervf

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore sv6
Hi alexandervf - If you get it fixed are you able to let us know how? As I had the exact problem, mine were flickering when installed as per the diagram.
So far it only seems to work for one or two people so keen to know where we went wrong in the process.

DRL:
So I went to a different auto-elect and they couldn't fix the flickering, so he yanked out one of the white wires so it stops the flickering but the DRL's run at full capacity with low beam on which is illegal in vic..
(I'm currently running the DRL conversion while having the DRL's on at high capacity at night)

HIDs & Standard Globes:
Now.. I bought H7 HID 5000k they worked for a only 20sec before cutting out completing, apparently in the VF has to high of voltage to support the HIDs or something on those lines (hard to explain), so the auto elect took them out. Now I've decided to go with standard globes which is what I should've done from the beginning but I didn't know.. So I purchased "Narva H7 12v 55w 4200K Maximum Intense Blue" - ADR APPROVED.

Seriously I've spent at least $500 over for all this and by the end of it I'll have Blue Low Beam lights and blue LED Parkers, Rego lights LED blue, Interior lights LED Blue and a DRL converter that runs at high capacity with low beam on.

Can @veessv please tell everyone how to fix the FLICKERING, two auto elects can't fix it so how did you!? Cheers guys

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the guide in the op worked fine for me, I only connected the vf drl to one side of the dimmer relay [DRL(L)] in the picture.
you have to also use a relay as the picture shows.
the vf drl flicker when the voltage to them is too low, you can make them flicker with the right resistor.

im waiting for another drl relay to arrive from ebay to do this mod again, I have done this to 2 other vf's one a 2013 sv6 sedan and other 2014 sv6 ute I will take some pics this time as I go and see if it helps anyone.

the drl relays on ebay can be faulty, I have had one that was faulty and had to send it back.

as for hid's you need to use ones that are canbus compatible(put a resistive load on the wire) as the hids draw less power then normal bulbs and the vfs computer will shut them off or make them flicker and also throw error messages on the dash.

over here in wa blue parkers and blue rego lights attract cops don't meet our adr's.
yet they don't seem to care for drls at night(full capacity) or fog lights at night and idiots with hids in fog lights at night lol

here are the drl relays I use
DC 12V CAR Automatic ON OFF Switch LED Daytime Running DRL Dimmer Relay Harness | eBay

and hids which im also waiting for in the post(first time using this brand/guy)
Holden VF Commodore LOW Beam H7 HID KIT 6000K Xenon Lamp SV6 SS SSV | eBay
Holden VF Commodore High Beam H9 HID KIT 6000K Xenon Lamp SV6 SS SSV | eBay

We44pn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Anyone who's done this in Sydney? Id be more comfortable with someone who's done it before than any other electrician.

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I can help you when Im back in town if you like We44pn ..... if you can wait that long hehehehe

ranprasad86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hey veessv,

Good work on finding out on how to dim the DRLs.
Can you show us where you connected the Dimmer kit to the DRLs as I have bought the kit but unable to locate where to connect the power and ground cables to the DRLs.

Thanks
Ran