Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DRL dimmed with headlights on (How to Guide)

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
also comes with the feature of making the drl work with indicators , hoping to try that out too .

We44pn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
whos able to install this for me in Sydney? Someone who knows exactly what they are doing? any of you guys available? will pay for labor obviously

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
hey everyone , finally got round to getting the DRL Relay kit installed this weekend , and it went swimmingly . Quite impressed with how well it all works . iv attached a quick youtube video below showing me unlocking the car under shelter which the car is supposedly in darkness , when i lock it goes back to full strength . Also another video showing the car running and me changing the dial on the dash .

No issues with any flickering on the DRL . I did however troubleshoot how this is happening .
1 - no additional relay for the dimming wire ( parker white wire)
2 - VFs with fog lights use the same ground as the DRL so this can also cause this .

As you can see mine are running perfect . If anyone wants me to draw out a diagram similar to OP with a little more understanding i will be happy to do so to help others , as i just went in with a dive and wired it similar to OP although the indicator cables weren't needed . IF you want your DRLs to indicate like your blinkers you just use the additional wire to do so .

Things you'll need :

jay car relay pin and wiring connector $10
eBay drl wiring harness $20

car unlock/lock :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN6inyl-WYc

car running :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYntXGb1FMM

Any help needed ill be happy to guide you through :) most amateurs should be able to do this

Attachments

• image1-1.JPG
    image1-1.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 676
  • image2.PNG
    image2.PNG
    87.2 KB · Views: 668

AnotherVFdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Sportswagon
heres how I did my install on a 2014 sv6
picture album: VF Drl - Minus

on the drivers side I took the 4 screws out to get in behind the front bumper.
icmLvbgxT9HHb.jpg

there is a plug in there that has the wiring for the drl's.

ibnPyscXwg9JUL.jpg

this is the plug with the red clip on the back, you pull that clip down then press in on the little release lever on the plug and pull down on the plug to unplug it.

iCjNsjeP3N1YN.jpg

there is a hole on the bottom of the bumper, feed the plug and the drl dimmer wire (DRL R in the op) through that hole so you can work on the wiring at the front of the vehicle.

on the plug you will see the following wires...
iXH5WQPYghgrj.jpg

the purple with the green stripe is the +(positive) power wire for both left and right drl's
the 2 black ones are the -(negative) wires one for each side

this is where I hook up the drl dimmer to the drl's in the vehicle.

i0Wj9DVzsebF0.jpg

make sure you cut the black wires do not just splice into them, the drl dimmer puts resistance on the negative side not the positive so leaving them connected will cause issues.
you also need to cut the purple wire to install the dimmer.

iXF6eoCKRZBtR.jpg

once that's done tape it all up and push the plug back up into the bumper and plug it back in.

for the parker light wire/power...
iY1MfCq9jXOsT.jpg

find this plug on the back of the drivers side headlight.

iYpqyZlVY13By.jpg

splice into the grey with brown stripe wire.

iyExipe8SCuEC.jpg

you wire up the relay as the op shows

for the 12v+ power to the dimmer and relay you can choose 2 different ways.
ignition switched power.
or
always on(battery) power.

I use ignition switched as I don't want the dimmer drawing power when its not needed.
if you use always on power the dimmer has voltage sensing and will shut off about 15 seconds after you stop the engine.

for ignition switched I tap into the fuse box on an empty fuse
ibaxeLdgGDTOPx.jpg

for always on battery power you connect to the jump start point under the red plastic cap
ibuQfyW22jXuFQ.jpg

make sure you put a fuse on the this wire
ibmCSaAUoZ0mjn.jpg

this is the 3rd vf I have done this to and each time it has worked perfectly.
ibbd0tsuIWJhhl.jpg

bit hard to see but they are dimmed
ibqEoyQ5AMP5Dc.jpg

Hey there! Any chance of getting these pics reuploaded I think I'm ready to start this project but they would be a great help and make me a lot more confident in doing it!!

Thanks!!

snistr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf Calais V
Hi can anyone assist with a complete diagram which also highlights where we connect to the original loom?

jakem8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 sv6 ute
What do the ADR's (Australian Design Rules) have to say about running DRLs (Daylight Running Lights) during hours of darkness ?

I was under the impression that when the headlights were turned on vehicles with factory DRLs, the DRLs were extinguished.

I do know that it is illegal to drive at night on a road in a Municipality or built up area with more than two lights showing to the front.

For example, you cannot drive in those areas at night with high beam on.

You cannot drive at anytime with headlights and fog lights on at the same time (4 lights). M'mmm seems to me you could have some roadworthiness issues !!

The VF hsv range keep the DRL's on with headlights from factory? and so do the new mercs?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
The VF hsv range keep the DRL's on with headlights from factory? and so do the new mercs?

They dim when the headlights are on.
HSV uses the DRLs as parkers, with full brightness, then dims them with the low beams.

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Diagram would be much appreciated. Thanks :)