Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DRL dimmed with headlights on (How to Guide)

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by veessv, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Seamust

Seamust New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf Calais V
    Just finished doing this.. I would say 4/10 difficult if you have some idea of how to wire things up.

It's more just time getting to everything and making it fit nice and look good in the engine bay

Attached Files:

Redline 2017 and TTubrag like this.
  2. Redline 2017

Redline 2017 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
    What did you use Seamus?

3. Seamust

Seamust New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf Calais V
    Everthing 3rspecb has said and brought in this thread I also did! eBay for the wire kit and then Jaycar for the relay and fuse tap.
    After I was done I relosrea I should of made a viedo to help everyone else out there is some tricky steps but if you take your time and think about it, it will all be clear

The only problem I had was engine light on but just disconnected the battery for 10 min and went away

Redline 2017 likes this.
  4. AAAC

AAAC Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Motorsport
    I have a DRL module that I am looking to install down the track. I have read the various posts but I am looking to install it in an alternative way. To do this I require the location of the DRL fuse. I cannot find this in any of the fuse boxes. It may not have an obvious name/abbreviation. Does anyone know where it is?

5. Seamust

Seamust New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf Calais V
    My engine light keeps coming on now! I disconnected the battery and it will go back come back on the next time I turn it on.

Any ideas why ?

6. 3rspecB

3rspecB Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
    Not sure TBH. Maybe cause you have a Calais with DRLs and fog light. Ours have been VF2 Redlines and SS with DRLs only.
    Page 3 or 4 mentions something about the fog and drls sharing the same ground and a work around for them.
    Else, check all your surrounding connectors to ensure they plugged in. Haven't encountered an engine light on any of our installs.

7. RFC

RFC New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Sportwagon
    ``
    For some reason I cant see the images to the above instruction, could you repost? Cheers.

TTubrag likes this.
  8. VF_CalaisV

VF_CalaisV New Member

Members Ride:
    VF CalaisV L77
    Hi, I'm also looking at getting my DRLs running dimmed with the headlights on.
    Some thoughts...
    These $20 kits will run the LEDs at full power when the headlights are not on. This may be even brighter than standard since I believe that the factory setup runs PWM. This is for a mixture of reducing brightness and possibly for durability of the LEDs. So running them at full power could make them too bright and make them fail early...
    As a possible option I thought of, the battery, acc(or ignition) and headlamp wire could all go to a +ve wire going to the headlights. That way the unit only works when the headlights are on and puts out a crude reduced voltage.
    The DRLs could power up from the factory PWM supply during daylight.
    This would mean that the DRL power wires would be spliced into not cut. Also if there is any issue of power back feeding up the factory wiring, when being powered in dimmed mode with headlights, then maybe some diodes could be added on the factory wiring.

What I am thinking of is just getting some eBay PWM adjustable power supplies (e.g. eBay: "PWM Dimmer Controller LED Light Lamp Strip Adjustable Brightness 12V-24V 8A"). You can tune the brightness via the knob.

I would connect it to headlight power (or parker power with a relay) and power the DRLs via that (spliced in). Again maybe the factory DRL power wires might need a diode to stop any possible back feed issue.

Any thoughts?

Mavericks Choice likes this.
  9. brindle_staffy

brindle_staffy New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Sportswagon
    Just completed this mod over the weekend on my Series 2 VF SV6 & followed same method as 3rspecB including soldering / heat shrinking & cloth taping everything to make it all look OEM but I have noticed I’m having the flickering issue for approx 20-30 seconds when I first start the car but it seems to stop flickering after that (no idea if it flickers at anytime while driving).

I also used the relay even thou people have suggested it’s not required & I don’t have the fog lights or anything so unsure what the issue is there or if anyone else has flicker just on startup?

Is everyone else’s setup working fine? Any suggestion?

Cheers,

10. 3rspecB

Members Ride:
    @brindle_staffy, Check your grounds for the relay and DRL harness. A mate did this install on his VF2 SS sedan and had flickering DRLs on initial start up. Went over his connections and found he didn't tighten up the bolt that he used to ground both. He hasn't had flickering issues since.

brindle_staffy likes this.
  11. brindle_staffy

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Sportswagon
    Thank you for the suggestion, I have just rechecked the ground connection for the module + relay & it seems solid but I also tried another ground point & still getting the flickering just for the first 20 seconds or so after startup. Guess I will have to recheck the connections to the DRL’s themselves in case it’s an issue there somewhere.

12. brindle_staffy

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Sportswagon
    So I have double/triple checked all connections but still get the flickering & after closer inspection I noticed they constantly flicker but just not so much after the initial 20 seconds or so after startup.

I tried with/without relay & different ground point & via fuse tap & direct connection to 12v source, the flickering only really occurs while dimmed & haven’t noticed it when DRLs are full power. I did also notice that when connected direct to 12v that the dimming module wasn’t turning them off after 30 seconds (or however long it’s supposed to take) & the DRLs just remained on so I’m going to try a replacement dimming module in case the first one is faulty.

13. KLoNe

KLoNe Member

Members Ride:
    6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
    Yeah, I'd get a new one, that one may be defective.

14. Gmac 2.0

Gmac 2.0 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
    Does anyone have access to wiring information on Series 2 HSV's or Chevy SS's as I believe they both have dimming DRL's from the factory?

15. AAAC

AAAC Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Motorsport
    I think that this feature is a setting(can be enabled?) in the BCM rather than extra hardware. For those that have installed the extra wiring and modules to activate the DRLs at night, do they provide any extra lighting on the road, in particular immediately in front of and to the sides of the vehicle?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  16. MY17DIR

MY17DIR Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 LE Director....
    This is something ive thought about aswell. This feature is on the HSV's, surely there are oem parts available to complete the mod?

17. 3rspecB

Members Ride:
    Yes they do.
    HSV and Chev SS variants have DRL diming feature written in their BCMs.

For the Aus commodores, the DRLs can only be switched on/off by the BCM. Their is no code to dim them. I have not heard of anyone breaking into the BCM and re-writing or enabling things as yet.

The DRL dimmer I used, reduces the DRLs to 50% when I have my parkers and or headlights on. I have found that this does provide extra lighting on the road directly Infront and to the sides. I'm very happy with this modification.

AAAC likes this.
  18. 3rspecB

Members Ride:
  19. Gmac 2.0

Gmac 2.0 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
    There is also an "almost" plug and play version out of the US that's available but it only makes the DRL's come on with the headlights/parkers and does not dim them. Some are fitting these to their late model SS's so as to override the dimming feature and run DRL's at full brightness at night. I'm considering buying one to try and morph it and the dimmer module together. It comes with factory wiring connectors that go inline with the DRL connector. No splicing of wires then.

20. villn808

villn808 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SSV Sedan
    I have this module from Maverick man, but it was far too bright at night, like blinding bright. I had my mate from Automotive Lighting Customs modify it so they now dim. And he is selling them if you are after one, can find him on Instagram and Facebook.

Redline 2017 likes this.