Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

drop out

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
Hey guys have you's knoticed that sometimes when u start the car in a rush and instantly put it into gear that it sputters a bit and sounds like its dieing, just a little bit, nothing to extreme, but is there a way to fix that...?

and yes i know "dont do it" but im just curious as to y it happens in an auto and what causes it lol

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Happens to me now and again in any gear. Putting it back into nuteral for a few seconds seems to keep the car happy. I've had her die on me once when I was changing from reverse to drive just after a cold start on a hill. But that was all pretty random.

I hear you on the splutter though. Probably because putting the car in Drive lowers the idle revs prematurely. I know the car likes to idle higher in Nuteral when it's cold. But that's just me guessing :)

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
It takes a few seconds for the IACV to find a 'happy place', so if you grab a gear in that time, it will kick and splutter a bit, as far as I know there's no way to get around it other than waiting a few seconds.

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
lol thats all good news to me, cause i have owned the car for a month now and its happened like 2-3 times, but i just thought id bring it up, there is nothing like a good winge bout ur commy to make you love it more lol

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
Try it tomorrow...if you listen to it you'll hear it. The engine starts, the revs head up to about 1200-1400 and then slowly come back down again...once they drop below about 1000rpm you're all good. Still without a tacho just wait until you hear the revs come back down a bit and you should be good.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
When i 1st start mine on a cold morning it idles at about 1100-1200 then after a couple mins it drops to about 800. well acording to the tacho anyway. Mine doesnt splater or anything if i quickly put it into gear, but mines a manual.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manuals don't suffer from it as much, because when you grab a gear in the auto some load gets put on the engine. When you grab a gear in the manual, there's no added load on the engine, because the clutch is disengaging the gearbox from the engine.

But you can still notice the difference in throttle response if you try taking off too soon after starting a manual. It's just not as much of a difference as the auto.

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
lol i think mine is actually fuel. i was parked on a hill today with the fuel just on red and it spttered, then started it 3 hours later on the same place with just under half and no worries lol

im starting to think this is an unpreventable problem lol