Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drove into carport, now doesnt want to start

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
Drove my spare ute into the carport to have some panelwork done, and a new muffler fitted, All work done, but now it cranks for a few seconds, seems to fire on a random cylinder or 4, then stalls out. when you turn key off, and crank engne over again, it just cranks... occationally you get a pop thru the inlet, or out the exhaust, but still wont start. Its have injectors "cleaned" a day ago ( pulled out and ran compressed air backwards thru them onto a clean cloth and a few of them spluttered out some fine pieces of dirt ) and reinstalled, seemed to try to start ( read run for 3 seconds instead of 2 ) a little easier, but goes back to the whole cranks and cranks but wont start routine. Im changing fuel filter tomorrow afternoon, and will blow out the fuel lines from the connectors on the firewall ( remove fuel cap as to not blow a hose somewhere ), failing this not making it start and run as to keep running... what else could i look at? Its had new coils, leads and DFI module fitted from my ute, which was running excellently till i swapped out with a 304.

Attachments

• rear damage.jpg
    rear damage.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 82

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Check to see if you have any error codes first, then do spark checks at the plug ends, and fuel checks at the rail.

This should help narrow down where the problem lies

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Title had me thinking....

:p:p:p

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did the muffler replacement involve any electric arc welding?

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
Ok, So after changing fuel filter, blowing out fuel rail and both lines from the tank, it still didnt want to start. I pulled an engine spark plug out ( previously tested for spark using another old plug ) and tested it. The spark wasnt sparking via the electrode, but jumping to the side of the plug. I fitted 2 old plugs into the drivers side ( Bosch - ones in ute were NGK type R units ) and it was trying to run. Swapped out the back plug with another bosch and it ran, but very roughly.. Ended up fitting 6 new Bosch plugs and car starts and runs like new again. So im guessing Combination of NGK plugs and old fuel wasnt a good combination!!