Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dual 10's Vs. Single 12

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hey guys, i have recently got a 500wrms at 2ohm cadence monoblock amp, which got me thinking about a new sub or two. i have one ten inch kenwood at the moment which is good but not enough, but i like it because it is so quick and doesnt lag to the music. My question is, for a wide variety of music from hip hop to metal, what would be best? 2x10's or 1x12?
Thanks guys, and opinions or help would be great.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Two 10's would be slightly louder but wouldn't play as low as a 12...

Personally, I'd go for the single 12" then if you eventually want more bass, get a second one.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Two 10's would be slightly louder but wouldn't play as low as a 12...

Personally, I'd go for the single 12" then if you eventually want more bass, get a second one.

The man is right. One 12 will own two 10's in bass, for ultimate of everything, 2 12's or two 15's are the ****

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The man is right. One 12 will own two 10's in bass, for ultimate of everything, 2 12's or two 15's are the ****

I beg to differ big time. I had 2 10' Blaupunkt velocities not too long ago, and to say they would be owned by a single 12'', no way in hell!!

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I beg to differ big time. I had 2 10' Blaupunkt velocities not too long ago, and to say they would be owned by a single 12'', no way in hell!!

Depends what type of music you listen to I guess, 2 subs offer more volume and more range of bass, but 12" being a bigger sub, would move more air therefore being able to create more low bass

It varies all the time though, I have seen 2 10" subs crap all over single 12"s but then it all comes down to what quality your sub and box is.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I reckon if you really listen to a wide variety of music, good quality 10's are the way to go..Ive since swapped them for a single Soundstream SPL 15''. And whilst i've had a lot of fun, hitting some pretty low notes, and shaking the crap out of my car, i miss being able to listen to some types of music, it just doesnt cut for me IMO

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
i'm sorta still split in the middle, becuase i have a mono block amp. but i'm not looking at a 15" because all the ones i've heard and seen are too slow

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i'm sorta still split in the middle, becuase i have a mono block amp. but i'm not looking at a 15" because all the ones i've heard and seen are too slow

Just depends on what you mainly listen to mate, a larger sub e.g a 15'', will play lower, but will have slower excursion, a 10'' will produce cleaner and tighter bass, and will have quicker excursion. If you listen to say a lot of Techno, or metal, anything with repetative fast beats, then a smaller sub is always the way to go. And just because a sub is bigger, dosent make it better. You could fill your boot with average 15'' subs, and be blown away by a single 10''. It just come down to what you have to spend, and how you want it set up..Just decide on what size sub your after, and then find the best sub in your budget that matches your amp's output

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Just depends on what you mainly listen to mate, a larger sub e.g a 15'', will play lower, but will have slower excursion, a 10'' will produce cleaner and tighter bass, and will have quicker excursion. If you listen to say a lot of Techno, or metal, anything with repetative fast beats, then a smaller sub is always the way to go. And just because a sub is bigger, dosent make it better. You could fill your boot with average 15'' subs, and be blown away by a single 10''. It just come down to what you have to spend, and how you want it set up..Just decide on what size sub your after, and then find the best sub in your budget that matches your amp's output

Hi,
Soz to highjack the thread a bit .... what would you say a 15" would be for?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hi,
Soz to highjack the thread a bit .... what would you say a 15" would be for?

RnB music, some rap music, basically anything that dosent have too fast of a beat. I went from 2 sealed 10's, to a ported 15'', before i could listen to anything, it was really versatile, even being able to just turn the radio on and if i heard something i liked, i could just turn it up. Now with the 15'', all i can listen to is RnB.. And i have to play around and basically adjust the levels for each song, to get the most out of the sub...