Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dual Batteries - Advice from people who have actually done it

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I was looking for some advice with setting up a dual battery in my car. I read online somewhere else (here in fact: Dual battery wiring tutorial (and why) ) that it is suggested to run physical wires between the two batteries postive and negative terminals, as well as grounding them to the chassis. Is this what people have done?

I've already got 0 gauge running through my car for positive, I was really hoping not to have to run another length for negative. So I'm looking for someone to tell me that they have only the wire connecting the positive terminals, and then both batteries grounded to chassis, and obviously that it's working well for them..

Thanks,
Denno

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
i've just ran (+) from battery to second battery and grounded the second battery to the chassis, i also sanded back the ground aswell.

You've had no drama's then? How long have you had your set up?

Thanks for the reply :)
Denno

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Oh ok so you've only done it fairly recently? I was hoping to hear from someone who's had it a while haha. But I still appreciate your feedback :)

Do you have the stock alternator still? How does it go with charging etc?

Denno

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
Oh ok so you've only done it fairly recently? I was hoping to hear from someone who's had it a while haha. But I still appreciate your feedback :)

Do you have the stock alternator still? How does it go with charging etc?

Denno

it charges it fine, but it is a small battery, i'm yet to upgrade both bats.

i've had it in there since 24-04-2012, got that from my update post on my ride thread haha

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Sweet thanks mate :). Puts my mind at ease a bit that I don't have to run another length of 0 gauge lol. I checked out your car too, looks very nice! I could ask you so many more questions about your big 3 upgrade, as I can only work out the location for 2 of them, but I won't hassle you with that lol.

I just bought a new Super Charge from Autobarn, my Optima Yellow Top wouldn't hold charge, after only 3 years and 1 month -_-, not happy with that at all (before someone says anything, the charging system is fine, as the RAA guy told me when he jump started me the other day, but I still want to go to the auto elec and make sure there isn't anything draining the battery while the car is off).

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina