Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dual battery or capacitor setup ideas??

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Hi all, i have a 99 vt commodore and have a full boot install with 24" monitor and all.

I am a little worries about flattening my battery to start so i was thinking of putting in a dual battery system but charging both batteries first.

They have these dual battery isolators on ebay, can anyone suggest a cheapish isolator that will do the job, i am probably not going to upgrade my alternator and if i get a new one it will be the same type as stock.

Dual Battery Isolator 12V Ideal for Dual Battey Setups in 4X4 By Low Voltage | eBay

Also secondly, when i crank it up a bit the lights start to dim and voltage drops quite a bit on the gauge.
Just wondering would a capacitor be worth getting for that?? sometimes they can make it worse but would i see any gains if i purchased say a 1.5 farrad cap or something?

I am also considering doing big 3 soon which i think will help a bit?

Here is the system im running in the boot ( which i hope to hook up to aux battery if i get one)
p1060769small.jpg

1x hifonics brutus 1200w rms monoblock running 2x eclipse 600wrms subs in parallel
1x dominator shitty brand 4 channel ( yet to upgrade ) 400w ( is all thats written on it so im guessing max)
1x 300w inverter for xbox360 (136w ) and 24" monitor (<50w)
1x Air compressor ( not running all the time ) but for airbag suspension can't remember how much power it drags

any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers, Darcy

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Dual battery and alternator upgrade. Caps are a waste of time and money

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
yer i thought so, how much would i be looking at for an upgraded alternator?? so im guessing by upgraded its like a v8?? or cop alternator??

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Can get your stock alternator rewound last I checked. Would be more looking at switching to a better main battery first then start looking into other ideas.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
ahh ok well firstly ill do big 3 and go from there main problem is lights dim

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
In the order I would do it:

>>Big 3
>>Upgrade original battery
>>Upgrade alternator
>>Add a second battery

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
ahh ok thanks mate

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
If you are serious about it,
Second battery
Ditch A/C
2nd stock alternator.

You'll love it
Cheers
Mat

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
thanks for the input ill try big 3 first and see how it goes and keep working from there, thanks everyone

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Just a little more information for you, put basically..

The lights dimming is due to voltage drop across your wires. Performing a big 3 wire upgrade with thicker wiring decreases the resistance of the wire, which decreases the power dissipated across your wiring as by ohms law voltage = current * resistance and Power= current * voltage.. or power = resistance * current^2. Thus, less resistance = less voltage drop = less power dissipated = more power for the rest of your system, including your dimming lights!

If this doesn't work as effectively as you would like, you'll need a battery that is capable of supplying more current!

Capacitors are merely a bandaid solution that resist the change in voltage of your system, not really recommended. Do it right, do it properly.