Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dual Batterys

lucas_arts_182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Hey, I got a flat battery the other day, and it got me thinking... what about dual batteries in a commodore. has it been done befor? has anyone got pics ?

I was thinking of a CCA battery as battery 1 and a deep cycle as battery 2. and have the 2nd battery in the boot, then have a manual switch inside the car (ive heard relay based dual battery systems are crap).
anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Will i need any capasitors? for the amp or HU(to save settings when the switch is thrown from B1 to B2 or Both.)

I have a fairly good idea of what i want to do, but just thought id ask here to see is anyone has done it befor, and if they had any troubles.

cheers.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Most 2 battery systems i've seen run both the batteries at the same time! So they're just hooked up in parallel. It is fairly easy to run a switch in between two batteries though. The positive wire that is on your current battery will have to be where the switch is, so you'll have to move that, but other than that it should be fairly easy.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Most set ups use an isolator like a redarc or something similar to switch between the batteries.

paulsautoelec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
the redarc smart start is by far the best system to fit . completely automatic with with a secondary start system that can be wired in. just make sure you use a deep cycle starting battery the standard deep cycle will die if using to start.